How does Bell Labs make money
The beginning in the 1970s
The programmer Ken Thompson employed by Bell Laboratories laid the foundations for Unix in August 1969. The operating system is initially nameless. Thompson wrote it on a PDP-7 minicomputer.
The operating system is named Unics (Uniplexed Information and Computing Service). The name alludes to the sprawling precursor project Multics (Multipexed Information and Computing Service). The name later changed to Unix in an unexplained way.
In February of that year Unix is ported to the more powerful PDP-11 mini computer.
In November Thompson and Ritchie published the "Unix Programmers Manual" for the first time.
Ritchie develops the C programming language based on Thompson's preliminary work. Thompson reworks C and thus enables porting to other platforms.
Unix is maturing. The "pipes" are added. They enable communication between programs and influence the development of operating systems for years to come.
Unix is rewritten in C.
In January 1974, Berkely University in California got a copy of Unix. In July the article "The Unix Timesharing System" appears in the monthly magazine of the US computer science association Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). The two authors, Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, describe their work as an interactive, multi-user operating system for general use.
The Bell Laps programmer Mike Lesk develops UUCP (Unix to Unix Copy Program). The program transfers files, e-mails and Usenet content over a network.
Unix is ported for the first time to platforms that do not come from DEC: to an Interdata 8/32 and the IBM mainframe S / 360.
Bill Joy, a graduate of Berkeley University, mails out copies of his first Berkeley Software Distribution (1BSD). Behind it is a Bell Labs Unix version 6 with some additional programs. BSD evolved into a rival to AT & T's Unix operating system. Many variants appeared in the following years, including FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Dec Ultix, SunOS, Nextstep / Openstep and Mac OS.
- What do you know about Romania
- Swing trading is worth it
- India's economy is in crisis
- What are the best TV horror series
- What is more important work or family
- What do poor people eat in Bangkok
- Computer engineering is a good career
- Looks at a girl who is harassing her
- Who was pretty Nefertiti or Cleopatra?
- What's wrong in life
- How much do workers make with tips
- Has there ever been a national language
- Babies get sick while teething
- Who pays for the prisoners' meals
- What nationality does hummus eat
- What was your chutzpah in life
- What famous books have you not read yet?
- Can a chiropractor help with hip pain
- What is the future of psychology
- Where can I find my savings bonds
- Is it worth waiting for love
- What is a route channel
- Concerns Canada's immigration policy to the United States
- Why do so many teachers tolerate bullying