What are the Comoros ethnic groups
Largest Ethnic Groups In Comoros
The Union of the Comoros is an African island nation in the Indian Ocean. The island lies north of the Mozambique Channel and borders Mozambique, Madagascar, Tanzania and the Seychelles. The country covers an area of 1660 square kilometers and is the third smallest country in Africa. Comoros is one of the least populated countries with a population of only 790,000 people, but it is one of the most densely populated countries in the world. Half of the population is under the age of 15 while 34% of the population lives in urban areas. There are three major ethnic groups in the country with several ethnic minorities. The largest of these ethnic groups are considered below.
African Arabs, commonly known as Afro-Arabs, are a group of people or individuals who trace their ancestry back to both African and Arab origins. Most of the African Arabs are along the Swahili coasts in the African Great Lakes region. Some of these ethnic groups are also in other parts of the world, particularly in the Arab world. African Arab is the dominant ethnic group in Comoros, making up 86% of the total population. The island was originally colonized by Africans, but in the 10th century the Arabs came to the island and established their chiefs, who were led by sultans. The Arabs flourished in the slave trade while influencing Africans culturally through Islam. Arab influence on Africans saw the emergence of an Afro-Arab group that has now grown into the largest ethnic group in the country. The Swahili culture characterizes the ethnic group. Arabic has a strong influence on the language. Ritual music such as stambali and gnawa are common ritual music in this community.
The Malagasy are the main ethnic group in Madagascar. However, the Comoros also have significant numbers of people belonging to this ethnic group. Malagasy are divided into two groups, the highlanders and the coastal dwellers. The coastal residents of Madagascar are the majority in Comoros. The first group of Malagasy people, the Austronesian settlers, came from Borneo and settled in the Central Highland region, where they grew rice. They moved in their canoes and established kingdoms on the uninhabited coasts, including the Comoros. The main economic activities of the Malagasy people include hunting, fishing, and agriculture. They also appreciate clothing and hair styling. The majority of Malagasy people practice Christianity as the predominant religion.
Ismaili Indian is a sub-branch of the Shiite Muslims who received the name Ismaili from following the teachings of Imam Ismaili ibn Jafar. They believe in the oneness of God and Muhammad as prophets of God. The group mainly belongs to the Indian community in Comoros and other parts of the world including Pakistan, Afghanistan, South Africa and East Africa. Ismaili Indians believe in the reincarnation of their members in their community. They also believe that numbers have religious meanings, especially the number seven.
Other ethnic minorities in Comoros
Some of the smaller ethnic minorities in the Comoros country are Chinese, French, Dutch, British and Portuguese. These minority groups came into the country in search of slaves during the colonization of Africa. Most of these minority groups have their origins in their countries of origin. The majority of expatriates working in Comoros are from ethnic minorities.
Largest ethnic groups in Comoros
|Ethnic group||Proportion of the population of Comoros|
|Malagasy||14% in total|
Author: Josefina Howell
Josefina Howell is a 21 year old journalist. Twitter lover. Social Media Evangelist. Player. Internet junkie. Zombie Aholic. Coffee expert. Proud music freak. Writer. Web maven.
- Is pain synonymous with suffering
- Can an INFJ ever see each other clearly
- Do you lick your lips a lot
- Which are good healthy Indian street foods
- Why do we get excited
- Is given an LDC candidate government district
- How many grandparents raise their grandchildren
- Who was Lebrecht Blucher Dreves
- How can the youth participate in politics
- How does home care work
- How do you retain employees
- How can I download a physics textbook
- Like the life of an Indian in Ghana
- Why are eggs considered vegetarian
- How does globalization affect me personally?
- Most male INFJs are gay
- Donald Trump will make America small again
- What is food preservation
- Why is hell a dirty word
- Why was Star Trek Voyager canceled
- What's your best homemade lunch
- What's the deal with Generation Z.
- What rappers are gangster disciples
- Why couldn't the British keep Singapore?
- Why don't more Americans work for themselves?
- Will Brexit create jobs
- How did you quit your job
- Can you explain Phi in simple terms
- How is the Indonesian economy in 2017
- How are McKinsey's internal training courses
- How much does a CFO earn
- Why is there no global language
- Who are medium-sized farmers
- What makes a museum wheelchair accessible