What is the history of the Kingdom of Aceh
How a "forgotten" tsunami changed history 600 years ago
Daly and his colleagues do not believe that the low-lying coastal areas were rebuilt by local survivors returning to their homes. Instead, they suspect that the tsunami created attractive properties for Muslim trade travelers who had been driven elsewhere by European influences in the region. (For example, the Portuguese conquered nearby Malakaka in 1511.) These newcomers may have formed the core of what later became the Sultanate of Aceh, a powerful Islamic kingdom.
"After a tsunami there can be a period of total renaissance and reconstruction," says Beverly Goodman, a geoarchaeologist at Haifa University in Israel. It deals with historical tsunamis, but was not involved in the current study.
Questions for the future
The geologists and archaeologists hope that the reconstruction of past tsunamis can help us to better assess the risks of today's giant waves.
"If we only rely on the records we know, we end up significantly underestimating how often tsunamis occur in the world and what effects they have," says Goodman.
She points out that the 2004 tsunami showed Ace's vulnerability. However, the same methods used in the current one can also help identify the danger to other locations that have not been recently hit by a tsunami.
"This type of research is very important in collecting such ancient records and understanding the risk factors better," says Goodman. "The use of sediments and archaeological findings is essential to fill such gaps."
The bigger challenge, however, is likely to be in adequately preparing for such rare occurrences.
“When you tell people that there is likely to be another tsunami in the next few centuries - but we don't know when exactly - and that it will destroy the entire area, most people are willing to take that risk live, ”says Daly.
The article was originally published in English on NationalGeographic.com.
- What is it like to have AVPD
- Adults can still enjoy books about young people
- Why do elders respect the students?
- What is a greedy algorithm
- What happens to abortion laws
- Who gets their carpet cleaned
- Which foods make your children happy?
- Why do Americans pronounce t as r
- Where is UX design going
- How would you market Gmail in China
- Alzheimer's Disease Will Kill You
- Which country is better Norway or Japan
- Have you ever bought a stolen car?
- How is the salary development in Deloitte
- What prevents rotten teeth
- What does your Korean handwriting look like
- What are the different types of suits
- Who owns McKinsey
- Sacramento CA Why
- Do older people contribute to a society
- What happened to the Andrei Chikatilos family
- What are good ways to stay energetic
- Which is better business or job
- What if there was still slavery?