American recruits Indians for hotel jobs
In the umbra of the moon - NASA's unknown heroines
"How could a female brain do such analytical work as mathematics?"
They were considered human computers and paved the way for mankind to go to the moon.
Long before the American astronaut John Glenn could orbit the earth in a spaceship and Neil Armstrong could walk on the moon, a group of dedicated mathematicians calculated the formulas for what would later become the greatest successes in space history using pencils, rulers and adding machines.
The Afro-American women among them, who were hired by the space agency in the 1930s and 1940s because of staff shortages, were among the brightest minds of their generation. But the harsh rules of racial segregation made their work in the male-dominated institution that will become world famous as NASA, doubly difficult.
Nobody knew their names yet. It was only when Margot Lee Shetterly, whose father also worked there as an engineer, heard from them fifty years later and wrote their story, that it became clear that the Apollo missions would never have been possible without Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson and Christine Darden.
A gripping book about the true stars of American space travel, in which backward racial politics meet technical progress.
- When did Walt Disney become a billionaire
- How are mixed types seen in China
- Why do we dream what we dream
- What are the causes of hyperinflation
- Is coding available in SEO
- How do I find my co-founder
- Scientific research requires creativity
- How can I be a creative teacher
- How long should normal adult teeth last
- Who was Moses Haris
- How can I offer perfect customer service
- What is food inflation
- Which aircraft use NACA 23012
- How do smells work
- What is BTS Jin's favorite food
- Is Ireland rightly British or Irish
- Uses Elon Musk Quora
- What are the whitest names anyway
- What does Deloitte Consultant
- Has an online tax business
- How does Australia see Donald Trump
- Why don't Chinese restaurants serve potatoes
- Magnets affect smartphones
- Why is rock music not popular
- How did WTC 7 collapse
- What does the Irish look like
- Should I ask my teachers questions
- How would you define a good job
- What do Indonesians think of the Irish
- Are lesbian relationships the most unstable
- Why are teenagers prone to depression?
- Why didn't Wilt Chamberlain win more championships
- Are Chinese Buddhists