Why can't some people overcome addiction?
Addiction and addiction disordersAn addiction disorder can affect anyone
First of all, the term “sex addiction” is often a source of amusement. He is always noticed in connection with celebrities. For example, a world-class golfer is considered a "sex addict" - as a man who "just can't let anything burn". But hypersexuality can be a disease, a type of addiction that, according to expert estimates, affects around every 15th person more or less severely, whereby - here too, the experts agree - mainly men. But the line between sex addiction and a sexually active life is difficult to draw. But if a person no longer has his libido under control and acts like a driven person or if he continues after every supposedly fulfilling act of love again and again (and this over a longer period of months or years), "pathological" behavior can possibly be assumed.
In sex addiction, as in other addictions, the underlying mechanisms consist of a self-reinforcing feeling of exaltation or euphoria (positive reinforcement), which conceals inner emptiness, self-doubt or even just boredom (negative reinforcement), although this positive feeling does not last long. And - as with other addictions - the sex addict demands ever higher doses in the course of his illness, because his intense feeling of pleasure is less and less pronounced over time. Therefore, those affected inevitably increase their sexual activity, intensifying their sexual acts. However, this does not mean that sex addicts automatically develop a special predilection for fetishes or unusual sexual practices. In fact, most of them even long for a steady, loving and romantic - a "normal" - relationship, but unfortunately their sexual desire gets in the way, which makes them quickly bored of sex with the same partner, so that they mostly use the numerous possibilities of the internet to find new sexual contacts.
As a variant of medically verifiable sex addiction, this Internet sex addiction is becoming increasingly important as an "insurmountable" desire to visit websites with sex content. The consequences are often withdrawal from real life (including partner-related sex life) and avoidance of social contacts and other pursuits in order to be “online”. Many hours, v. a. at night, are spent visiting online sex sites and often lead to daytime sleepiness and reduced ability to work.
The following criteria are used to diagnose sex addiction:
- frequent, irresistible desire and intense preoccupation with the subject of sex, pornography, masturbation, etc.
- Loss of control and development of tolerance towards satisfaction
- Narrowing of the behavior repertoire in favor of addictive behavior and negative consequences due to "consumption"
- Withdrawal symptoms in the event of renunciation or suppression
- Inability to change behavior despite insight and defense mechanisms (justification, lies)
- Emotion regulation through the use of sex and personality changes (aggressiveness, irritability in situations outside of addictive behavior)
Sex addiction as a dependency disease sooner or later leads to negative social consequences (relationships, family, ability to work) and pronounced subjective suffering, both for those affected (shame, depression) and for those involved (social environment), and therefore requires professional treatment.
- What was your scariest train experience
- Why is Frankenstein still being studied in schools
- What is the salary of a QC
- Why does a loving God create evolution
- Is it normal to hate a language?
- How do plumbers use science
- Weed-induced brain damage is permanent
- Babies get sick while teething
- Where do rich people live in Jakarta
- What political problems does Denmark have
- Why is actor Rowan Atkinson anti-religion
- Which piano should I never buy?
- Why don't haters like successful people
- What are the generations of processors
- Why don't I like films anymore
- What is the meaning of artificial rain
- How do you get rid of comedones
- Can someone use a HAM radio
- How do I deal with difficult relationships
- A C + is a bad grade
- Have you ever beaten up the wrong child?
- How do you say mean in Russian
- Can't stop people discrimination
- What is the best company to trade
- Was Frank OHara gay or bisexual
- Who has osteoporosis completely reversed
- Political correctness is a law
- What is special about your mother tongue?
- How important is kame in geology
- What sucks about being retired
- Have you ever spied on someone?
- What was the date of Noah's flood
- How much does a house cost in Noida
- When was Westminster Abbey built