Can I eat sprouts at night
The seeds won't germinate & other problems
In order to achieve success in sprout cultivation, the needs of the seeds and seedlings must be taken into account. We explain the basic measures that lead to successful seed sprouting.
In the following article we will explain the basics of sprouting to you. If you follow these tips and the information on the individual seeds, almost nothing can go wrong.
The pillars of sprout cultivation
- Moisture / water
- Temperature / heat
Sprouts need sufficient and regular water to germinate. However, seeds should never be permanently wet or even "flooded", only moistened. Only seeds that require soaking before germination can tolerate more moisture.
Regular rinsing, usually twice a day, should also be carried out. Rinsing prevents germs and contaminants, e.g. house dust, from settling in the culture.
The seedlings must not be dry for a long time. Without moisture, the seedling ceases to be active and biodegradation begins.
Please always use fresh tap water. If you are growing the sprouts outdoors in the ground, rainwater can also be used.
The optimal temperature of most sprout seeds is between 18-22 ° C. In most residential buildings, this is the room temperature in less-used rooms, e.g. hallways, dressing rooms. In summer you have to pay special attention to the temperature. The optimum temperature for yeast cells and bacteria begins at 28 ° C, which must be avoided. A window to the north can provide cooling here.
In winter the temperature is often too low. A terrarium heating mat or a lamp provide spot warmth. The seedling does not need any heat at night, so the heat source should be turned off here. Window panes are significantly colder than the room temperature, especially in winter. So that the green herbs do not suffer a cold shock, they should never come into contact with the disc.
Too much heat and little light can mean that the stalks of the seedlings grow upwards quickly and the sprout does not have enough strength to develop leaves. Gardeners refer to this as "shooting" and it causes the plant to deteriorate more quickly.
The seeds need enough space to expand and to exchange air. In addition, the seedling needs oxygen and the green plant needs nitrogen to breathe. Air drafts should be avoided as far as possible so that the plants do not dry out or suffer a cold shock.
Tower towers should be ventilated daily so that air can also be exchanged between the levels.
Since the seedlings also take each other's space to live, too many seeds must not be grown in the germinator at the same time.
Sprouts should never be exposed to direct sunlight, as this would dry them out too much. Indirect light is ideal so that they don't grow or dry out too quickly.
In winter the hours of sunshine are reduced and the sprouts also receive less light. In this case a lamp can help.
Energy-saving lamps or fluorescent tubes do not show the same color spectrum as daylight, so you should avoid them. Special plant lights are ideal here. Today's plant lights are also offered as energy-saving LED versions.
If you need heat in addition to light, you can also use a halogen lamp.
As everyone knows, sprouts are plants and they need light - so why should they need darkness too? The answer: there are light germs and dark germs. As the names suggest, some seeds need light and others need darkness to germinate. Most sprouts, however, belong to the light germs.
What is preventing breeding?
A conscientious execution when growing sprouts is very important in order to exclude the hygienic and health hazards. In order to be successful, the following points should be avoided:
- The seeds lie close together (only harmless in exceptional cases)
- Insufficient ventilation
- Inferior seed quality: poor germination capacity
- Old, broken or incorrectly stored seeds: poor germination capacity
- Too moist seeds: rot of the seeds
- Incorrectly pretreated seeds: rot of the seeds
- Infrequent watering of the seeds: dehydration
- Too much light: dehydration
- Use of a metal vessel for breeding
- Accumulation of fungi in the vessel
- Too high or too low temperature. Usually 21 ° C is optimal.
All of these points have a negative impact on sprout cultivation and can prevent the seeds from germinating. In the worst case, the entire seed begins to mold and is completely lost. Because in the case of mold, the entire harvest must be disposed of!
My microgreens get too big and fall over
If the greens grow too quickly, the stems will stay thin and fall over. This varies depending on the type of seed. Beans, for example, are less susceptible than alfalfa or broccoli sprouts.
The most common reason for rapid growth is in search of sun. If the room is too dark, the plant will stretch its leaves towards every light source, no matter how weak it is. This creates a long stem. In this case, the microgreens should be exposed to more light.
The environment can also be too warm. There are sprouting seeds here that are less sensitive to heat. But some start to shoot hard when there is too much heat and too little light.
If you grow the seeds in soil, quick growth can also happen from fertilizers. If the soil contains too much nitrogen, the plants will grow too quickly. This is also not healthy for the plants and they become more susceptible to diseases.
My plant leaves look burned
If the leaves look burnt, they have had too much direct sunlight. The sun is very powerful and doesn't need a magnifying glass to burn leaves. Burns are irreversible and cause lasting damage to the shoots. Burned plants should therefore be removed and cultivation should be relocated to the shade.
The exact needs of the individual rungs
Like humans, seeds have needs and demands in order to grow happily. The environment must match the different seeds (such as cress, alfalfa or broccoli sprouts) individually.
The exact growth requirements of the respective seeds can be read in detail in our articles for the various sprouts.
- How to pronounce the word euouae
- How can you stop being a korean boo
- France is greener than Germany
- How can I qualify for the WBSEDCL
- Why is the world afraid of China
- Is your child obsessed with playing Fortnite?
- How do I hack social media
- Why is FGM healthy
- Whiteness floss white
- What are some hearty condiments
- How do I speak Chinese very well
- How are the people in Hong Kong
- What are some erotic stories
- What's wrong with being a lesbian
- What is the most misunderstood race
- What are the advantages of the day school
- Which year had the most human deaths?
- How do you cook your favorite food
- Why is Wonder Bread called that
- Says what the hell is a sin
- What is chemical engineering and petrochemical
- Fraud is common in relationships
- Jungkook really kisses girls
- Revenge and vengeance are the same
- What causes a substance to smell
- Why is hospice care important
- Which headphones are better JBL or Skullcandy
- Where do Chinese girls live
- Why can't we fix immigration?
- Can bread make you fat
- What is the US tax rate
- What is your favorite snack
- Project managers are engineers
- Why should I leave the office on time