Is it possible to skip the 6th grade?
Skipping school levels
Legal basis: SchUG 26, 26 a; SchUG-B 29th BMU decree of February 16, 2006; ZI. 12.660 / 0005-111 / 3/2006 (= RS BMU No. 6/2006).
a) Provisions of the SchUG for skipping school levels:
According to SchUG 26/1, a pupil who, due to his exceptional performance and talents, has the intellectual maturity to take part in the lessons of the next but one school level is to be admitted to the next but one level of the relevant school type upon request.
Skipping school levels with a simultaneous change of school type (e.g. from 2nd grade Hauptschule directly to 4th grade AHS etc.) is not permitted; Skipping a school level is only possible within the type of school in which the student is when skipping. However, it is possible to skip both in elementary school and in AHS.
Admission to the next but one school year is only permitted if there is no reason to fear excessive physical or mental demands. In case of doubt, the student must undergo a placement test and, if necessary, a school psychological and / or school medical examination (SchUG 26/1).
Primary school pupils (elementary school) may only be admitted to the next but one school level if this means that the total duration of primary school attendance (usually 4 years) is not less than 3 school years (SchUG 26/1). This provision ensures that the total duration of primary school attendance must be at least 3 years. In elementary school, therefore, a class (2nd or 3rd grade) can only be skipped once.
At school types with ability groups (e.g. Hauptschulen), the pupil must attend the highest ability group in all performance-differentiated compulsory subjects (German, English, mathematics) and the successful participation in the lessons of the respective highest ability group in the next but one level must be expected (SchUG 26 / 2).
The school conference is responsible for deciding whether to skip a school level. If the pupil would be younger than the school level when admitted to the next but one level (also taking into account possible early admission to primary school), the school authority of the 1st instance (for compulsory schools the district school board, for federal schools the state school board) has the Approval of admission if the student appears exceptionally suitable on the basis of a placement test before an examination committee to be appointed by the relevant authority (SchUG 26/3). In order to avoid excessive demands on the student, a strict standard must be applied to the requirement of extraordinary aptitude (explanatory remarks on the law). Exceptions: See point b.
A school level can be skipped once in primary school (= 2nd or 3rd grade elementary school), after primary school up to and including the 8th grade (= Hauptschule or AHS lower level) and after the 8th grade (= BMHS or AHS - Upper level) permitted (SchUG 26/3).
In total, a student can skip a maximum of 3 school levels: once each in elementary school, in the lower level and once in the upper level. It is not possible to skip the school level if this would directly change the type of school.
If, after admission to the next but one school level, it turns out that the prerequisites for attending the relevant school level are not met, the headmaster, with the consent of the pupil, must revoke his admission to the next school level and at the same time address his admission to the next school level . Revocation or admission to the next school level is only permitted until the end of the calendar year of admission to the next but one school level (SchUG 26/4). Such a revocation must therefore be made by the end of December so that the student can start the lower school level by January at the latest.
Skipping a school level can also be used when continuing school attendance at a school located in Germany after an interruption due to school attendance abroad, but as a rule a placement test will have to be carried out here, since, due to the absence from the Austrian school, the It does not appear certain that there is no physical or mental overload.
b) Skipping at the "seams":
With an amendment, § 26 a was introduced into the SchUG. This makes it possible to skip school levels at the so-called "seams".
The "interface" is to be understood as the transition from the last level of one type of school (also the 4th level in elementary school) to the first level of another type of school, whereby skipping according to SchUG 26 a / 1 from the last level of the previous type of school in the second level of the new type of school and according to SchUG 26 a / 2 from the penultimate level of the previous type of school to the first level of the new type of school is possible.
According to SchUG 3/6 lit.b, an admission applicant who aims to be admitted to a school level is
- without being entitled to admission to the relevant school level by means of a certificate (SchUG 3/6 lit. a), furthermore
- is not younger than the relevant school level (SchUG 3/6 lit. b), and
- did not attend a school level in the immediately preceding school year, the successful completion of which entitles the head of school to take a placement test for admission to the desired school level. The purpose of this assessment test is to determine whether the applicant's previous education is sufficient for the desired school level (SchUG 3/6).
The age-appropriate restriction for the desired school level (SchUG 3/6 lit. b, see above) is suspended if a particularly gifted student skips a "seam" under certain conditions.
SchUG 3/6 lit. b (see above) does not apply to admission to a higher level of a school type than corresponds to the age of the applicant if the student requests it
- in the case of an immediately preceding school attendance in Austria, the relevant school level was completed with excellent success (or with analogous application of SchUG 22/2 lit.g),
- the class conference determines that the pupil, due to his or her special achievements and talents, is very likely to meet the requirements of the desired school level and type of school, and
- there is no need to fear excessive physical or mental stress.
In case of doubt, the student must undergo a placement test and, if necessary, a school psychological and / or school medical examination (SchUG 26a / 1).
The class conference of the "leaving school" is responsible for determining the special talent of the pupil, as it knows the special achievements and talents of the pupil. Furthermore, there is still no competent class conference for a pupil to be admitted to the new school therefore to request the report of the responsible class conference of the "leaving school", provided this was not attached to the application for admission.
The principal of the receiving school carrying out the procedure must check whether the requirements for skipping exist at an interface. If there are still doubts after these tests, he must proceed according to SchUG 26 a, last sentence, i.e. H. to schedule a placement test as required and / or to obtain a school psychological and / or school medical report.
There are no regulations for this classification test. The result of this test has to be an expert statement on the performance-related suitability for the intended school attendance. Accordingly, the examiner or examiners is to be appointed by the school principal carrying out the procedure.
If the successful completion of the 4th grade of elementary school or the 4th grade of the Hauptschule (or the 8th grade) is a prerequisite for admission to the 1st grade of the Hauptschule, a middle or higher school, this requirement is available at the request of the Pupil also by successfully completing the 3rd grade of elementary school or the 3rd grade of the Hauptschule (or the 7th grade), if
- this school level has been completed with excellent success (or with the analogous application of SchUG 22/2 lit.g),
- the class conference determines that the student will most likely meet the requirements of the desired school level and type of school due to his or her special achievements and talents, and
- there is no need to fear excessive physical or mental stress.
In case of doubt, the pupil must undergo a placement test and, if necessary, a school psychological and / or school medical examination (SchUG 26 a / 2).
Decisions on requests with regard to skipping a school level at "seams" are to be made known to the students immediately, stating the reasons and, if the request has not been granted in full, the instructions on legal remedies (SchUG 26 a / 3).
According to SchUG 71/2 lit. g, an appeal to the school authority of the first instance (LSR or SSRfW) is permissible against the decision of the school director. Another ordinary legal remedy is excluded.
The BMU has issued an explanatory decree on the legal matter "skipping a school level at seams" (decree BMU dated February 16, 2006, ZI. 12.660 / 0005-111 / 3/2006, RS BMU No. 6/2006) essential statements cited.
Skipping at the seams comprises two variants: on the one hand, the last level of a school type can now be "skipped", on the other hand, the admission to the 2nd level of a school type can take place immediately Attendance by skipping the visit. Requirements for the exception are:
The last school level attended must have been completed with excellent results; where this calculation is not provided (elementary school), the provisions on excellent success in accordance with SchUG 22/2 lit.g are to be applied accordingly.
- The class conference must make the prognosis that the student will most likely meet the requirements of the desired school level due to his or her special achievements and talents. The law makes no exception at this point for elementary schools and also provides for the decision of the class conference and not the school conference (despite the class teacher system). With the new version of § 57 SchUG, the decision-making authority is no longer transferred to the school conference. Due to the small number of members of the class conference in the elementary school, it is recommended that the headmaster himself or a teacher appointed by him preside (in addition to the class teacher and the other teachers in the class). In addition, it may be useful to involve other people (e.g. other teachers in the school, teachers in the receiving school, school psychologists, parents, etc.) in the deliberations at this conference.
- There must be no fear that the student will be overwhelmed, either physically or mentally. With regard to the determination of the class conference (prognosis, which will also include that of a possible excessive demand), the question of a possible excessive demand in physical and mental terms can ultimately only be assessed by the head of the receiving school. If the headmaster has any doubts about this, he has to schedule a placement test. In addition to this assessment test, a school psychological and / or school medical report may also be obtained. According to SchUG 3/6, the placement test can also be omitted under the conditions specified there.
c) Skipping a semester at schools for working people:
A student at a school for working people (e.g. at an AHS for working people) is to be admitted to the next but one semester on request in accordance with the School Education Act for Working People (SchUG-B 29/1) if, due to his exceptional performance, he meets the requirements for has successfully participated in classes in the semester after next.
Compulsory subjects that are completed in the semester to be skipped are deemed not to have been assessed (SchUG-B 29/1). A colloquium must therefore be held on this compulsory subject. If the colloquium is not taken or not successfully completed (including the possibility of repetition), further advancement to the next following semester is not permitted; instead, the student must repeat the skipped semester or the compulsory subject that was not assessed (explanatory remarks on the law).
A teachers' conference consisting of the teachers of the class decides on the student's request. The teacher conference must give the student the opportunity to comment on his application as part of the consultation (SchUG-B 29/2).
A pupil who, due to extraordinary achievements and talents, has the intellectual maturity to take part in the lessons of the next but one school year is to be included in this at his request, provided that there is no risk of mental or physical excessive demands. In case of doubt, a classification test or a school psychological and / or school medical examination. Decision by school or, in the case of schools with departmental structures, by departmental conference.
If the pupil would be younger than the corresponding school level at the time of admission to the next but one school level, approval must be granted by the school authority of the first instance after the assessment test (exceptions: SchUG 26 a).
Skipping school levels in this way is permitted once in the elementary school, in the lower level and in the upper level (i.e. a maximum of three times).
If skipping turns out to be inappropriate, the headmaster, with the consent of the student, must downgrade him to the lower class by the end of the calendar year (Christmas) at the latest.
(Last updated: June 2009)
- Who invented swear words?
- How many people speak the Breton language
- What's your favorite food on vacation
- Why is food so cheap in France?
- Who wants free WiFi
- Is hotel management better or airport management
- Who could have murdered Jeffrey Epstein?
- How Your Accenture Salary Will Go Up
- What's the worst part about being German?
- What does Scott mean in stamp collecting
- What makes you crazy
- Where does the term rush hour come from?
- Should forbid India Made In China Products
- Which US city has the best tacos?
- Asians really hate black girls
- What is Chaos Magick
- Which crypto exchange site are you using
- How to thicken ham soup beans
- Teenage hormones cause depression
- How do I get into creative advertising
- Why is hydropower considered renewable
- Should I finish one thing?
- Would cross dressing be accepted at Disney World
- Do you trust obedient people