How did french toast get its name
Sweet classic: Poor Knights aka French Toast
Juicy and soft on the inside, crispy on the outside baked in butter and - for me - sprinkled with an extra portion of sweet cinnamon sugar - that's how I know and love it: French toast.
You may also know them as "Poor Knights", "Bread Slices", "Baked Wecken" or "Bavesen". In Russia you can enjoy the delicious, sweet cuts as “Grenki” and the Dutch love their “Wentelteefje”. But whatever the name, they are all delicious.
And the preparation is always similar: slices of white bread - often a few days old - bathe in a mixture of cream, milk, sugar, egg and vanilla, where they can really soak up, and then put in a crispy, golden coat in the pan to get. Then you can roll them in cinnamon sugar, dust them with powdered sugar or - very American - enjoy them with maple syrup. Pure feast!
Back then it was still a note food that was eaten when people didn't have much more than stale bread and eggs, but today the poor knights are so popular because of their simplicity and a real culinary delight. It doesn't take much, the basic ingredients are cheap and you often have most of them at home. Even if you're just about to discover your culinary skills, little can go wrong here.
Simple and delicious!
How to make your sweet French toast:
Do you have everything you need
Check off accessories and ingredients or go straight to the recipe.
Did it taste good?
Share this recipe with others or save it for later.
TIP: Control with buttons
Knight 2.0: It gets really crazy when you turn the "poor" into "rich knights". What do I mean by that? Your knights will be filled. Yeah ... if you want to take the classic variant to the next level of enjoyment, fill two soaked bread slices with your favorite ingredients: Classically with plum jam or, according to my recommendation, with nut nougat cream and strawberry or banana slices. Place bread slices on top of each other, then roll them thoroughly in breadcrumbs and fry them in fat just like traditional knights. I cannot describe this pleasure in words, you just have to try it yourself.
- Which jobs have a mandatory retirement age
- Why is goose meat so expensive
- Which product should be exported from Africa?
- What's the worst job at the airport
- How did prophets gather followers
- Do online code plagiarism checkers actually work?
- How can you regain air superiority
- What is a red lip kiss
- May German Indian food
- Is God God
- How do you choose a business partner
- Judge men and women by their appearance
- Is love a real thing
- Why don't you eat chinese food
- How do I measure employee retention
- How can I remove burn scars
- Is NPD a common disease
- Will newspapers ever make a comeback?
- Which colored curtains go with green walls
- Was Jesus just an extremely kind man
- Why are raccoons considered to be nocturnal animals
- Is knowledge power or power is power
- Who are the most famous Arab scientists
- How has the privacy changed on the Internet
- What seems difficult is really easy
- How are the streets of San Diego
- What symbolizes holding hands 2
- A life without dignity is possible
- How do I order DMT online
- What types of foods do Hindus eat
- What are CSE engineers doing in DRDO
- CUNY Baruch or San Diego State University
- Why is overtime taxed?