Why is literature worth reading
Classical literature - still worth reading?
We were all tortured, with Friedrich Schiller, Thomas Mann, Günter Grass or Hermann Hesse. The contents of her works were analyzed and discussed in many arduous hours. But why do you still read the dusty classics at all? Can't you study contemporary culture instead of dealing with bygone eras? Those were questions I asked myself during my school days; now, in my early twenties, I find myself with a classic in my hand.
Because these books have not become so famous for nothing, something in them touched the people of their time, moved them or outraged them. From a literary point of view, these books are masterpieces in their composition, their choice of words and their style. Every growing author can benefit from this! But classics are also true contemporary witnesses and give us a picture of their society: What topics were people interested in back then? What events shook the world? What ideas about love, friendship and the world did these people have?
At the moment life guides, management guides and popular science books are particularly popular. It's good that more people read, but classical literature and fiction in general - as opposed to guides or popular science books - can teach us about humanity. Frank Farell, a literary scholar, argues in his study "Why does literature matter?" That literary texts represent an analysis of reality that differs from any other science - after all, one has a detailed insight into the life and actions of a (fictional) Individual. He describes literature as "interpersonal communication on the deepest levels", that is, communication on the deepest levels. Therefore, literature also serves to develop empathy and emotions - precisely because you are often entangled in the plot and in the characters, the plot also takes you emotionally with it.
Literature inspires us and arouses the imagination - and that allows us to imagine our lives and to shape them ourselves. Many of my friends love to read, and when I discussed with them whether classical literature is still necessary today, a friend told me that reading literature saved them. Saved is a dramatic word, perhaps, but she explained to me that she came from a non-academic background and was one where you really don't find any books. But she was interested in books and then read about half the city library. Reading broadened her horizons and taught her a lot about life - and that was her chance to break the vicious circle of Harz4 and disinterest.
Many German teachers try to convey to us exactly that, that literature can offer us a lot if we get involved. In order to achieve this, however, one has to convey a lot of enthusiasm and awaken an understanding of literature. It would also be important to diversify the curricula a little more: Most of the authors * we read are in fact male and white - that otherwise conveys a very one-sided picture!
- How to say smile in Korean
- How is the real estate market in Singapore
- In which prison do the most dangerous people live
- Will the US lose its global clout?
- Hispanic ancestors were slaves
- Will the cable be extinct in the future?
- How did people learn to dance
- How is overtime pay calculated
- How do relationships work in western cultures
- Companies should offer childcare locally
- What is cultural tolerance
- What inspires you to be successful in life
- How much money do expatriates earn
- Have you ever killed your own chicken
- Can you describe moksha in Hinduism?
- Is there time in Siddha Loka
- Depression can lead to forgetfulness
- Is the IELTS valid in the USA?
- How can I fake an English accent?
- Can boys wear leggings like girls
- Meditation can be a source of anxiety
- Are there any blockbuster stores in Texas?
- What celebrities shouldn't be celebrities
- What did I do wrong 1
- Which have better packages DRDO or BARC
- What are the benefits of GDP growth
- How can BGM affect an IT employee
- What do programmers actually do every day?
- Are people with BPD EUPD dangerous
- Why are corporate jobs so stressful
- Depression can lead to forgetfulness
- Where is slot welding used in construction
- How do the US President's primaries work