Why do all Americans vote
Why do Americans always vote on Tuesdays?
Since 1845, election day in the United States has been legally set to be the Tuesday after the first Monday in November. Thus, the earliest election date is November 2nd and the latest November 8th.
But why does the election always take place at the beginning of November, of all places? As is so often the case, the reasons for this lie in the history of the country. The date was supposed to accommodate the electorate, as the majority of Americans were still living from agriculture in the 19th century.
And since most of the work was to be done in the fields in the spring and summer months, it was decided to hold the presidential election in the less busy late autumn. At this point, most of the harvest had already come in, but the weather was still mild enough for the trip to the next polling station.
Tuesday is the best time of day
But why Tuesday? Sunday was out of the question because of the service, Monday fell flat because the distance to the nearest polling station was sometimes great and the journey took a correspondingly long time. Saturday was market day, for which Friday was again used as a preparation day.
So Tuesday was the best time for most people. In contrast to today, when the choice on a weekday is unfavorable for many working people. If you cannot vote by letter or, as is possible in some countries, earlier, you need good time management in order to cast your vote.
- Is Switzerland a forgotten country?
- Where does the term whistleblower come from?
- Why is Switzerland so boring at night?
- How old is Nigeria
- Is the world ready for cashless currency
- What is the best piano piece for practicing?
- What is your favorite snack
- Do you like London Bridge
- Which countries are interested in Mongolia
- How is sympathy better than empathy
- Are Indians in every country on earth
- What are CBD gums good for?
- Is Britain really a police state?
- Are non-profit employees paid
- Is it legal to ruin someone's life?
- What is love to a shy guy
- Is diamond a gem
- Can I burn incense sticks every day
- Chinese people eat baby mice
- Do women have really hairy assholes
- Are constellations part of the Milky Way
- Where should I start to learn 2D animation
- What is western lunch and dinner
- Is the Austrian economy falsifiable