Why are we stuck for some time
interview: "Now we're all stuck"
contentRead on one side
THE TIME: What does the destruction of Fallujah mean for the war on terror?
Paul Wilkinson: Fallujah makes it clear that stability and security in Iraq cannot under any circumstances be achieved with purely military methods. The rebels are able to withstand the harshest repression. And terrorism, which is not necessarily part of the resistance of the old Ba'ath regime, but pursues completely different goals, is flourishing in the increasingly tense and increasingly violent situation. In principle, I am of the opinion that negotiations and diplomacy should have been relied on as long as they could achieve reasonable results. The use of force should only ever be a last resort. The violence in Fallujah could have been prevented or at least mitigated if political means had been used. Fallujah was completely mishandled.
TIME: Do you differentiate between rebels and terrorists?
Wilkinson: In my opinion, the rebels are nationalists who want to create an independent Iraq free from foreign occupation. It was and is probably still possible to convince many of them that their interests can be satisfactorily pursued under the new government.
TIME: And the terrorists?
Wilkinson: Al-Qaeda cannot be converted. No negotiation, no discussion would lead to anything. Al-Qaeda aims to completely destroy democracy. In Iraq, the organization is trying to gain control over large parts of the country. You can only use force against these people.
- What are some traditional Russian foods
- Helps fish oil with Raynaud's syndrome
- Do Spaniards speak better Italian or English
- How did someone secretly destroy your life
- What are some jokes about Maine
- Is it possible to skip the 6th grade?
- What are facilities and CTC in MRPL
- Why are the French so pessimistic?
- When will the ISRO exam be
- Do I look older than I am?
- How is Queen Victoria mother of Europe?
- Animals feel sad
- Do you play chess or checkers
- Community TV series What's wrong with Abed
- The Dutch immigration policy was an advantage
- Is the use of a Bluetooth headset harmful to health?
- Which nations use autonomous submarines as weapons?
- How do I contact The Weather Channel
- Why are Americans unhappy
- How did you become a spy
- Are women with tattoos sexy?
- Can an Israeli citizen visit Pakistan
- What are bad dewatering problems
- Do men really need space in a relationship?
- Skandagiri is open for trekking
- How can I date Jungkook from BTS
- What are the most important things you do
- China was saved by America during World War II
- What is the importance of the weather
- What is your favorite meat and why
- How do databases work with websites
- What is the most poetic language
- Why does Jesus love me
- The entire African continent was colonized