How would you develop a medieval economy
Status: October 27, 2016
With the deposition of the last emperor in AD 476, the Western Roman Empire ended. With this, the cities founded by the Romans began to decline. Above all, the looting of the Great Migration Period caused great damage. Centuries passed before urban life in Central Europe got going again.
The high Middle Ages - a heyday of cities
At the beginning of the High Middle Ages, in the middle of the 11th century, the population of Central Europe began to increase. Urban life north of the Alps slowly flourished again. Old Roman cities came back to life like Trier, Mainz or Cologne, new cities were founded like Leipzig, Lübeck or Berlin. New cities emerged, for example, through the merging of a castle with a settlement nearby, or through the establishment of merchant settlements. Cities could also develop around churches and monasteries. In the 11th and 12th centuries, the number of cities in Central Europe is said to have increased tenfold. In the High Middle Ages, Cologne developed into the largest city in German-speaking countries with around 40,000 inhabitants. The city wall of Cologne was even longer than that of Paris in the 12th century.
From a trading center to a township
If a trading center was granted city rights by the sovereign, he was thereby given the right to levy customs duties and traders passing through could be obliged to offer their goods on the city's market. Citizens were given the right to property and self-government. Trade flourished, new citizens moved in, the growing population had to be taken care of, new professions emerged and new branches of trade emerged. In this way, small trading centers quickly developed into affluent citizen towns.
- Should I lick my cat?
- Which international companies have implemented knowledge management?
- What age is 50
- What do teachers do at lunch
- What should you not eat for breakfast?
- Who destroyed Buddhist temples
- What does it mean for women to be feminine?
- Can boys wear leggings like girls
- What makes Indian engineers the best
- Which outsourced business do I have to start?
- What do Middle Easterners think of Greeks?
- We could possibly prevent the aging of the skin
- What is the lifestyle of an entrepreneur
- Are human ancestors mentioned in the Bible?
- How do I learn spoken English 4
- What is the use of CEC
- What supports you in difficult times
- Why is John such a common name
- Who are programmers
- Can I bring a false allegation charge?
- What do copywriters charge
- Loved Rhaegar Elijah
- Will the property price fall in Indonesia?
- Is Usain Bolt the athlete's real name