What is the ninth hour of prayer
What does the ninth hour of prayer mean in Acts 3: 1?
According to Jewish tradition or according to the Mosaic Law, what happened in the 9th hour?
... in both Jewish and Roman timing systems.
See: Re. The Crucifixion: Possible Correlation Between Time Measurement and Calendar Days?
It is very likely that Peter and John - known as Christians - went to the temple for the 9th hour - because nothing was going on so as not to cause disputes.
According to Acts 2, Shavuot - Pentecost - had already occurred (Wikipedia; Exodus 23:16, Exodus 34:22, Numbers 28:26, Deuteronomy 16:10, etc.).
No other holidays seem likely in this context.
Neither morning (Shakharit) nor evening (Maariv) would have been prayers.
The afternoon service (Minkhah) was probably kept at all times - after 12:30 p.m. until evening, as the people come could (because of work, etc.).
There are too many forgotten and conflicting traditions to be sure: the Palestinian and Babylonian Talmuds (dated much later); the conflict between the Sadducees and the Pharisees; the Karaites; Etc;
However, I would suspect that the Sadducees still had authority in the temple. But they - and their traditions - have been removed from history.
The Jewish liturgy (see Siddur) has been "organic" throughout history. There are many of these liturgies today that all have been written - because there is no temple. None of them claim to reflect that time, let alone claim to have been passed on from Moses.
There is no way of knowing exactly what was going on around the 9th hour of the day. However, if an "event" had occurred, it would likely have sacrificed itself. Perhaps start with: Tract Zevachim, “Animal Sacrifice”, Bava Metzia 109b, Shechitat Kodashim, “The Slaughter of Consecrated Animals”.
- How dirty words became insulting
- What are some erotic stories
- Can I bring a false allegation charge?
- What are some truths about technology
- How can an Indian understand the British accent
- The CFA MBA strategy is a good combination
- What do dollars mean for donuts
- Are you still playing Runescape
- How can I learn stocks and forex
- Why are geniuses below average
- Can One Punch Man hit someone
- What are the best corporate secretarial institutions
- Why should gay marriage be legal
- Would make your life an interesting book
- Is Quebec cuisine similar to French cuisine
- How can human resources be improved
- How old is the Koran
- What are the pros and cons of radiology
- Builds character against adversity
- Is Godfather really the best film
- What happens after a male vasectomy
- What should I know about Turkmenistan
- Italians tend to have olive skin
- What is my Instagram username