How do I clean an old mattress
Disinfect and clean a mattress
Disinfecting home remedies
In order to disinfect a mattress, you do not have to resort to an expensive branded product. Many home remedies have a disinfectant effect and can be used to clean the mattress:
- citric acid
- Baking soda
- baking powder
- pure tea tree oil, mint oil or eucalyptus oil
Caution with waterbeds: The sensitive surfaces should not be cleaned with aggressive products such as acidic agents. This is not necessary at all, because the smooth surfaces do not create a target for mites and bacteria to attack. Wiping with a damp cloth is sufficient here.
Clean and disinfect the mattress
- Washing machine
- soft hand brush
- vacuum cleaner
- Spray bottle (€ 12.49 at Amazon *)
- Vinegar, citric acid, or alcohol
- Baking soda or baking powder
- One of the essential oils mentioned
1. Remove and wash bed linen and mattress cover
Remove bed linen and mattress cover and wash both (if the care label permits) at 60 ° C in the washing machine.
2. Vacuum the mattress
If you often eat in bed, it is advisable to vacuum your mattress briefly before cleaning. Use the upholstery for this and vacuum on the lowest level so as not to damage the material.
3. Clean the mattress
If there are stains on your mattress, first treat them with one of the mentioned liquid home remedies. To do this, dilute this with the same amount of water and dab the stain from the outside in with it. Alternatively, you can also use an enzyme-based stain remover. You can find out more about stain removal, home remedies and mattress cleaning in our guide to mattress cleaning.
Then put the mixture in a spray bottle and spray your mattress all over and evenly.
In both steps, make sure that the mattress does not get too damp!
Then sprinkle your mattress surface generously with baking soda. Soda has a disinfecting and odor neutralizing effect.
Now let the mattress dry off.
5. Suck again
If the mattress is completely dry, vacuum the baking soda on the lowest setting with a vacuum cleaner. Alternatively, you can tap off the powder, but then you should do the whole procedure outdoors.
6. Miss the fragrance and disinfect
Now add a few drops of the essential oil you have chosen to the spray bottle and fill it with water. Spray your mattress with the mixture. Do not stand too close to the mattress so that it does not get too wet!
The oil disinfects and also provides a pleasant smell. So choose an oil that you can “smell good”.
Place your mattress vertically on the balcony (preferably in the sun), next to the heater or against a wall with good ventilation (e.g. near a window) and let it air out there for several hours.
Do not cover your mattress again until it is 100% dry.
* Affiliate link to AmazonHome »Living» Bedroom »Mattress
- What is the value of the IGNOU degree
- Can civilians own military aircraft?
- How is geology different from astronomy?
- Smells healthy women's feet
- Cuts itself haram
- Need server
- How do I set a regional accent
- Why do people throw dirt on Saerge
- How can I distinguish myself in craftsmanship
- What is the national tree of Guyana
- Why do some people hate music
- What is the difference between in on at
- Will the blood aristocracy be revived in Russia?
- How do school lunches work in Japan
- How important is Gimli to the community
- Is there a good craftsman in the UK
- How much do industrial designers earn
- Where is the largest pyramid
- Why does walking make my sciatica worse
- Why are Americans so conservative
- Why does my sweat smell so bad
- Why does my boyfriend never compliment me
- Have you ever done a photo shoot
- Pakistanis change their views on Israel