How to Save Burnt Toast
Toast: Save calories with this trick
It is generally said that when you are on a diet you should keep your hands off bread - especially light wheat bread. Such a diet is often difficult for bread lovers. So there is now reason to breathe a sigh of relief: A study shows that toast reduces calories! You can find out how and why here.
Toast can reduce calories
The problem with white bread or rolls is not so much the calories. Because the energy values do not differ that significantly compared to whole grain products. Here some examples::
- Mixed rye bread: 211 kcal, 39 g carbs, 6.4 g ballast
- Sunflower seed bread; 248 kcal, 33 g, 8.0 g ballast
- Whole wheat toast: 250 kcal, 42 g carbs, 6.0 g ballast
- Sandwich bread: 254 kcal, 45 g carbs, 3.5 g ballast
- White mixed bread: 241 kcal, 45 g carbs, 3.3 g ballast
(all average values per 100 grams)
Image of woman diet newsletter
Do you feel like light and tasty? Then register now for the picture of the woman diet recipes newsletter. Our best diet recipes of the week will then be sent to you free of charge by email.
The problem is the high number of simple or "empty" carbohydrates. With almost no fiber or nutrients, they wander through the gastrointestinal tract in a jiffy and quickly raise blood sugar levels.
In response to the rapid increase, the body produces a lot of insulin and thus commands: "Reduce excess immediately." As a result, the blood sugar level falls just as rapidly as it has risen, new cravings for simple carbohydrates arise - while the consequences of the last bread attack are already stored in the fat cells.
Can this fattening effect be stopped?
Yes! Scientists in Oxford have now found out after a study with ten test persons. They were served fresh white bread, which was stored and prepared in different ways:
- fresh out of the bag
- frozen and thawed
- toasted and frozen
- thawed and toasted
The result: Toasting does it! It reduced the rise in blood sugar levels.
The fourth variant worked best. After the cold and heat treatment, the carbohydrates in the bread were broken down much more slowly. Researchers made a similar discovery in Sri Lanka with white rice. If it was placed in the refrigerator for twelve hours after boiling and then reheated, the carbohydrates were transformed. The fattening starch became indigestible starch, which the body excreted again.
How to toast the bread properly
Freeze first, then thaw and roast. The experts recommend:
- Freeze fresh rolls or bread (slices).
- Always take only as much as you want to eat.
- Does the toaster have a defrost function? Then just put in the bread slices. They are first gently thawed and then roasted.
- If the defrost function does not exist, defrost the slices first, then roast them normally. When not defrosted, it is difficult to achieve the right degree of browning. Take the rolls out of the freezer, defrost and cut in half. Then roast under the oven grill or in the bread roll attachment of the toaster.
If you use the toast effect and top your favorite bread lightly and healthy at the same time, you get by with less than 300 calories per meal, prevent blood sugar fluctuations and lose weight in a really tasty way.
Low-calorie toasted bread recipes
All recipes are calculated for 1 person
With ham: Toast 1 slice of grain toast, allow to cool. Mix 50 g cream cheese (17%) with salt and pepper. Brush the toast with it. Cut 2 lettuce leaves into fine strips, distribute on top. Cover with 50 g of boiled ham and sprinkle with plenty of fresh cress. 220 kcal, 12 g F, 12 g KH, 16 g E
With roast beef: Dice ½ paprika and 1 small apple, mix with 2 tablespoons of light salad cream (15%), season with salt and pepper. Roast 1 slice of wholemeal toast, brush with 1 teaspoon table horseradish, cover with 2 slices (25 g each) of roast beef slices. Spread the cream on top and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
With chicken: Salt and pepper 1 chicken fillet (100 g). Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan and fry the fillet until golden brown. Cut 1 tomato into slices. Roast 1 slice of wholemeal toast, let it cool, and brush with 20 g cream cheese (17%). Top with a little rocket and the tomato slices. Spread the chicken fillet in slices and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper.
With fried egg: Cut ½ mini cucumber into slices. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan and fry 1 egg with the fried egg, season with salt and pepper. Roast 1 slice of wholemeal toast and top with 3 slices (15 g each) of salmon ham without a fat rim. Spread the cucumber slices on top, place the egg on top. 255 kcal, 14 g F, 14 g KH, 18 g E
With pineapple: Roast 1 slice of butter toast and brush with ½ teaspoon butter. Top with 1 slice (30 g each) of cooked ham, pineapple (canned, unsweetened) and Gouda (30 g each, 16%). Sprinkle with paprika and bake in the preheated oven at 200 degrees for about 15 minutes. 260 kcal, 11 g F, 22 g KH, 18 g E
With schnitzel: Cut 1 spring onion and 1 small pointed pepper into rings. Fry 1 turkey escalope (100 g each) in a non-stick pan with 1 teaspoon of hot oil until golden brown on each side. Season with salt and sweet paprika and remove from the pan. Stew the onion and bell pepper in the frying fat for 5 minutes. Roast 1 slice of wholemeal toast and top with 1 sheet of iceberg lettuce. Top with turkey escalope and paprika vegetables. Sprinkle with parsley. 265 kcal, 8 g F, 20 g KH, 28 g E
With tuna: Halve 4 snack tomatoes. Tear apart 1 can of natural tuna (56 g drained weight). Toast 1 slice of butter toast, brush with 1 teaspoon of tomato paste. Spread the tuna and tomatoes on top. Cover with 1 slice (30 g) of Edam cheese (30%) and bake in the oven at 200 degrees until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with chives rolls. 220 kcal, 6 g F, 17 g KH, 24 g F
With crabs: Chop the leaves of 3 stalks of dill. Whisk with 2 eggs and 2 tablespoons milk (1.5%). Fold in 50 g ready-to-cook North Sea shrimps (refrigerated shelf). Salt and pepper. Let the egg mixture set in a non-stick pan. Toast 1 slice of grain toast. Crab scrambled eggs on top, sprinkle with chopped dill. 280 kcal, 13 g F, 15 g KH, 26 g E
With mushrooms: Cut 50 g mushrooms and 1 spring onion into slices. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil in a non-stick pan, fry the mushrooms until golden brown. Add the onions just before the end of roasting, season with salt and pepper. Roast 1 slice of wholemeal toast and top with 50 g turkey breast slices. Place the mushrooms on top, sprinkle with 3 tbsp (25 g) light gratin cheese (14%). Baked in the oven at 180 degrees until the cheese melts. 245 kcal, 11 g F, 15 g KH, 21 g E
- What knowledge has changed your life forever
- When are the British at their best?
- What are private investigators asking for?
- What is a real friend
- Which country has the strongest emerging economy?
- How are integrals applied to everyday life
- Should a child use a smartphone
- What is financial economics
- How do I find interesting people
- What does Deloitte Consultant
- What if something bad happened
- What do others think of Marwaris
- What are business skills
- Why don't I like students
- How does the US national debt work
- Girls find real nice boys attractive
- What is the poorest city in Bangladesh
- What is love compatibility
- How do we cook soup for breakfast
- A bankruptcy attorney is well paid rich
- Will the blood aristocracy be revived in Russia?
- Why was the book Lolita so controversial
- What shows up in a criminal investigation
- Is diamond a gem