What is it like to live in Greece
Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office
Emigrate to Greece
In order to help future emigrants on their way, the Federal Office of Administration (BVA), among other things, offers an extensive information service that actively supports German citizens who want to leave Germany for a period of time or permanently and helps them to make the actual decision to emigrate present-day and illusion-free ideas of the target country.
If you have any questions about emigration from Germany to Greece, the Federal Administration Office in Cologne can help you. The current information brochure on Greece is available there - for a fee:
Information for emigrants to Greece
Please note that the embassy cannot help you find jobs in Greece. You can find out about job vacancies at the German-Greek Chamber of Commerce and Industry or in Greek daily newspapers. EURES, the European Union's job portal, may also be an interesting point of contact.
Residence and registration in Greece
On the following website you will find information in English on residence and registration in Greece for EU foreigners: Website of the European Union.
If you stay longer than three months, German citizens, among others, are obliged to report their stay to the immigration police. There are two types of residence card that can be used to prove legal residence in Greece:
- ΒΕΒΑΙΩΣΗ ΕΓΓΡΑΦΗΣ ΠΟΛΙΤΗ ΚΡΑΤΟΥΣ ΜΕΛΟΥΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΥΡΩΠΑΙΚΗΣ ΕΝΩΣΗΣ (veveosi engrafis politi kratous melous tis evropaïkis enosis): This is a yellow card and is issued when you first register in Greece.
- ΕΓΓΡΑΦΟ ΠΙΣΤΟΠΟΙΗΣΗΣ ΜΟΝΙΜΗΣ ΔΙΑΜΟNΗΣ ΠΟΛΙΤΗ ΚΡΑΤΟΥΣ ΜΕΛΟΥΣ ΤΗΣ ΕΥΡΩΠΑΙΚΗΣ ΕΝΩΣΗΣ (engrafo pistopiisis monimis diamonis politi kratous melous tis evropaïkis enosis): This card is blue and is issued to those people who can prove that they have been in Greece for at least 5 years (permanent residence card) .
The residence cards are issued by the responsible immigration police. You can find more information on the website of the Greek Police.
Social security in Greece
Germans, their habitual residence (center of life) permanently in Greece have received no benefits German social welfare. According to the European Welfare Agreement, German nationals living in Greece must take advantage of Greek social benefits. We have compiled further information for you in the following leaflet:
Implementation of the European Welfare Convention in Greece
Double taxation agreement between Germany and Greece
Taxpayers with cross-border activities or economic interests with income at home and abroad are often used not only for domestic taxation but also for taxes abroad. To avoid such international double taxation, bilateral international agreements are often concluded. The international treaty between Germany and Greece can be found here: Double taxation agreement
General tax questions
At the Federal Central Tax Office (BZSt), private individuals as well as entrepreneurs and authorities can obtain information from the Tax Info Center.
Responsibility for German pensioners
For pensioners living abroad who receive their pension from Germany, the central special responsibility lies with the tax office Neubrandenburg. For questions about the taxation of your pension, we therefore recommend that you contact the tax office:
Postal address: Finanzamt Neubrandenburg (RiA), PO Box 110140, 17041 Neubrandenburg
Phone: +49 395 44 222 47000
Fax: +49 395 44 222 47 100
Email: [email protected]
On the website of the Senate Department for the Interior and Sport of the State of Berlin, you will also find further information on double taxation agreements and certificates of residence.
We generally recommend that you contact your tax advisor on all tax issues.
- How does home care work
- Can a person eat too much cheese?
- How do I open a cosmetics store
- Is Sansa on Arya's list
- Pathological liars know they are lying
- How can you interpret your dreams
- What is podcast 99 invisible about
- What does an embedded systems engineer do
- Why is an LLC better
- What matters most as a teenager
- How do you deal with depression after the breakup
- How long does drug rehabilitation take
- Why is China censoring US films
- What is your eating routine
- Blacks and whites are different
- Raw oysters are bad for you
- Are professional athletes overpaid and overrated
- Albania used to be a Christian nation
- Is 14 too old to be breastfed
- What is inflammation
- Why is JEE Advanced so tough
- Why is Python not allowed in IOI
- Why are most American dishes not vegetarian
- Can Gordon Ramsay cook Indian food