Should an aspiring writer be in college
Educate yourself through college to become a writer ... Connections?
Why should it be either / or?
College (actually a college diploma) is often seen as the key to something else. However, it is generally just a pass key for entry-level jobs.
However, this doesn't mean skipping college.
College diploma does not mean that you will be published
Let's say you go all the way and get your MFA (Masters of Fine Arts) in Literature, then write your cover letter.
Dear Jane Q. Verlag,
I just got my MFA in literature. Please read the attached manuscript, publish it as a book, and mail me a check for at least $ 50,000.
Obviously it doesn't happen that way anyway.
Obtain every tool you can
College can be a tool. A tool for learning. It can also be a waste of time and money.
Write the best book possible
Imagine the following scenario. You sit down and write the best novel possible. You convince 10 people to actually read it and actually give feedback.
The challenge here is:
- You have to write the novel
- You have to convince people to read the book. (It will be a lot harder to get 10 people to do it than you think.)
- You need to get strong feedback. Make sure these people are really honest with you. You will be afraid to be honest.
- If they're honest, you will likely find that your first novel attempt isn't great, and maybe even total crap. You have to go with it get around and change .
Most likely, this means that you are throwing away your first novel and possibly the first novels you write.
You have to write to get better
You can't get better reading books about writing and thinking about writing a novel. You have to write the novels and (probably) throw them away.
As you read this
Think about what you were thinking of while reading this part. Did you think, "This SE poster is an idiot. It can't be like that."
This is a protective mechanism that can keep you fooling yourself into thinking that it won't take that much hard work. We all see the finished products of great writers' novels, but we seldom see their lives before publication and their lives when they sit alone and write for a long time.
Maybe college fills the time
Perhaps college fills up the time while you write these novels. But it doesn't have to be. You could start today and write your novel in two weeks if you feel like it.
To get published you have to write. The faster you write your novels, the faster you will get Feedback and learn and vary .
College is likely never going to give you much feedback on your novel anyway. But that doesn't mean that writing and literature lessons have no value.
Why not just do everything? Start writing your novel and enroll for college today. Just keep writing while you take classes and put everything you know into your writing, employing whatever skills you get from writing back into your college classes.
It is possible, and it may be the best way forward.
One final point about publishing a book
Imagine you've written three books and your third novel is getting really good feedback from your focus group. You do another edit and this novel actually shines. People ask you if they can read it because your focus group told them about it.
Now you send the manuscript out over time and an Acquisitions editor will notice it. She reads more than the first paragraph and starts to like the writing and the story and she contacts you.
That is a far more likely story.
- Can distant relationships be permanent?
- What if there are no rules
- What are the benefits of eating oats
- What else do you think when you speak in public?
- Why is shrimp mushy
- What is the scope of the free dating website
- Will Malaysia ever legalize gay marriage?
- How do Turks cook their pasta
- Why are most people inefficient
- INFP men are weak
- Can I do BCom after 12th art
- Why are snakes poisonous
- Creates wealth and poverty
- What's your sexiest high school experience
- Can money stop climate change
- Who were the slaves of the Romans?
- Are you obsessed with things that are gross?
- What was your experience with Generation Gap
- Why do teachers teach students
- What's the best about high school
- Hyperinflation causes a recession
- How are the people in Hong Kong
- What does old school mean
- Why have we lost traditional values?