What are the triad bands
Violence and chaos during protests in Hong Kong
After days of mostly peaceful rallies, the protests in Hong Kong have turned into violence. The clashes initially took place in front of the government buildings, which were blocked by the demonstrators. Later there were clashes with counter-demonstrators in two lively shopping streets, among whom there are said to have been angry residents and business people, but also organized thugs. There were chaotic scenes and sometimes tough arguments with the security forces.
The police blame mafia-style triad gangs for the violent attacks. Activists suspect pro-Beijing forces sent the thugs. The police speak of 19 people arrested. Eight of them are said to have connections to the Hong Kong underworld.
Criticism of the behavior of the police
In the financial metropolis, however, there is also a rumor that the police themselves used the criminals to intimidate the democracy movement. Protesters, reporters and MPs unanimously accused the law enforcement officers of not intervening against the attacks on peaceful protesters on Friday.
Democratic MP Albert Ho told AFP that the police were very lenient to the provocateurs: "I have reason to believe that this is the last option for Hong Kong's powerful to get the protests off the streets."
In response to the violence, some of the student leaders declared talks with the Chinese Special Administrative Region government scheduled for Saturday "on hold". The student union demanded more forceful police protection. One has "no more confidence in the state power".
Challenge to the CP
Tens of thousands of demonstrators in the former British crown colony have been bracing themselves for days against an electoral reform decided by China. Although the people of Hong Kong should be able to directly elect a head of administration for the first time in 2017, the government in Beijing wants to select the candidates beforehand.
The students are also calling for the resignation of head of administration Leung Chun Ying, whom they accuse of being a henchman for the Beijing Communists. However, Leung categorically refuses to resign. Observers speak of the worst crisis since Hong Kong was returned to China in 1997.
djo / ml (afpe, ape, dpa)
- What's the ugliest video game character
- How do ethical hackers work
- Why are emigrants very often referred to as immigrants
- What is the best inexpensive brand of candles
- How was your first semester
- Can a math graduate do cfa
- How to cook live crabs
- What's your best Taco Tuesday recipe
- Why can't I work harder
- Who is the richest person in Belgaum
- How much food is wasted in India
- How much Koreans stare at foreigners
- How can I overcome insomnia 1
- Is it getting better
- What is a Cuban sandwich made of
- Why is it so difficult to learn spoken English
- Is it morally wrong to want prosperity?
- Are there abandoned submarines
- A pharmacist is a doctor
- How long do income differences last?
- What is the legal definition of possession
- What is the future of psychology
- How thick are scrambled eggs
- How can I sell you a car
- Which companies hire programmers with no experience?
- What do boys and girls never tell
- What are the triad bands
- What are professional skills
- Which is the best baby product brand
- How to develop reading habits
- What is the salary structure of tcs
- What seems difficult is really easy
- What are some examples of economic interdependence
- Happiness is impossible