Is self improvement different from development?
How to Find the Right Resource for Self Improvement
Founder of Coach In Motion, LLC
The self-improvement industry has grown to over $ 11 billion. It is estimated that more than 86 percent of executives in the United States have hired a coach, mentor, counselor, or therapist at some point during their career.
Most YPO members and many spouses are on a forum, which is also a valuable way to become a better manager, spouse, parent, sibling, child, friend, and citizen. Working with a professional promotes our growth and development even more by setting in motion more self-confidence, skills development, personal strength, healthy relationships, fulfillment and more.
When potential customers come to me for assistance, the first thing I do is ask, "What made you want to get in touch at this point?" The answer is usually, “I'm stuck or having problems with ____” or “I want to improve my game ... improve my leadership ... balance my life ... face business challenges ... figure out what's next ... find more passion in my work and my life… ”The conversation inevitably revolves around finding the right kind of resource and then finding the right match.
When making this investment, it is important to distinguish the type of support that will best suit your needs and then determine who can meet the needs. There may be an overlap in vendor expertise, and here are some quick guidelines for sorting through the many options.
Which resource best suits your needs?
|providers||Main focus||approach||Suitable for|
|Coach||Set goals and achieve them||Strengthening skills development|
Encourage critical thinking
Facilitate action plans
Be held accountable
Investigate behavior patterns
|Personal and professional development|
Change beliefs and behaviors
|Mentoring||Convey wisdom||share experience|
Lead by example
Encourage and challenge
Offer resources if necessary
|Business growth and development|
|Consultant||Organizational achievement||Offer support / manpower|
Give analysis and solve problems
|Subject matter experts|
Additional staff requirements
|therapist||Healing and support||Different forms of psychotherapy or counseling|
Diagnosing and treating behavior
|Emotional health and wellbeing|
10 important questions
Knowing what you want to get out of this experience will help you choose the right type of provider that fits your needs and expectations. It is advisable to interview at least two to three providers before making a choice.
When narrowing down the type of provider for your needs, you may want to focus on areas of specialization (e.g., career, business, leadership, technology, health). During this process, it is important to find a person who suits your style and needs. When choosing a provider, the following questions should be asked:
- What is your background, your qualifications and your previous experience?
- What is your main focus or areas in which you work most often?
- What is your philosophy regarding coaching / mentoring / counseling / therapy?
- How would you describe your communication style?
- What is your favorite / most challenging customer story?
- What are your strengths?
- What can I find difficult at work with you?
- How will we work together? (Frequency of interaction, format, access between sessions, length of time, guidelines)
- How will we measure success or completion?
- What would your recent past / current customers say about you, and may I speak to one or two of them?
Kim Weinberg has more than 25 years of experience in executive coaching, group support and organizational consulting. She is the founder of Coach In Motion, LLC, a coaching and consulting company. Weinberg is a Certified Forum Facilitator for YPO and was trained as a Certified Leadership Coach at Georgetown University, where she currently serves on the Facilitation Certification program faculty. She also has a Master of Science degree in organizational development. Contact them at [email protected].
- Donald Trump will destroy China
- Why didn't the UK colonize Hong Kong any further?
- Have you ever experienced discrimination?
- How many hours do engineers work
- How big are pyramids
- How did China develop?
- What is your dress code at work
- How famous is Game of Thrones
- Where can you find the brightest students
- How good are bad teachers
- Is it legitimate to sell a car on eBay
- What are some delicious vegetarian curry recipes
- Big companies should donate more to charity
- What is the official retirement age
- What is typical of India's economy
- Can a speech therapist cure the murmur
- Finnish men find black women attractive
- Typically, siblings are closer than friends
- What is it about your country that encourages you
- Where is the McDonald's restaurant with the highest revenue
- Why was the White Australia Policy implemented
- Can new immigrants get work in Canada
- How do ENTPs manipulate people
- When do you leave the house