How can you confront a rude person
How can I stop a rude employee from making aggressive / rude / embarrassing comments and keep my respect?
I come from the thinking that the time to address the problem is immediately when boundaries are crossed. If this person asks where I am going to sit, I would probably say the following statement without getting emotional, rude, or confrontational:
I've covered that. You can find me in the Flex Space section if you have anything you need to report to me. Now let's get back to X ...
As you are not responsible to this person, you do not need to make a statement. Instead, just go on factually. People like this say things like this to try to rise from you. So if you stay cool and keep your strength by not going defensive then it takes their strength out of them and hopefully makes them stop. Also, it only makes them bad if there are undertones of hostility on their part but not yours.
After that, it can be a good idea to speak to this person privately, ideally after the meeting. Remember, the sooner such problems occur, the better. After the meeting, take this person aside and calmly explain that you do not appreciate the "Jane Sightings" and that you would appreciate it if the person stopped. It is possible that he does not know that he is doing harm, and even if he does, if he privately points it out, it can lead him to change his behavior.
As others have said, if the behavior doesn't stop you have to pass it on to your manager or HR department, but I also believe that, as a manager, you need to demonstrate that you are able to resolve HR issues and personality conflicts on your own.
Dr. Henry Cloud, clinical psychologist and leadership trainer, answers the following question in a Forbes article titled "Managing Boundaries in the Workplace":
What if an employee pushes your limits and does something that bothers you?How should you react to that?
This is a great example of when a team has a vacuum of leadership boundaries. The best thing would be to use the "symptom" as an opportunity to talk about some values and behaviors that could bring the whole team together in situations like this, and then to know what to do. For example, the value could be "Honest Conflict Resolution" with some agreed behaviors that would bring this to fruition, such as "When we need to solve a problem with someone, we go straight to them and look for a solution." We receive and listen when someone brings a problem to us. We are always looking for an answer that is good for both. “That kind of value at hand, with these specific behaviors, would lead someone to know what to do, not only in this situation but in others as well.
In summary, Dr. Cloud that you need to set expectations about how you will be treated and how other employees will be treated in the event of a conflict. You have the option to set this standard. Set a good example and don't allow people to treat themselves like this.
With that in mind, you can also begin to resolve these issues between subordinates on your team. If two of your subordinates call each other publicly, or Employee A announces a sighting of Employee B or something similar to embarrass that person, this would be a great opportunity to report that behavior without you being the target of the bullying or the Conflict.
- How do the US President's primaries work
- Is the United Kingdom a country of immigration
- What would your pet say about you
- Are senior investment bankers happy?
- What kind of food can you cook
- Why don't we look like our parents?
- What are the types of government policies
- Do men really need space in a relationship?
- Why are old people bossy
- Why Adhik Mas occurs
- How do I heal my lordosis
- Where does Coca Cola get Coca from
- What makes a great B2B copywriter
- How do you recognize a narcissistic grandmother?
- Also, prepare for UPSC
- Can you be humble and rich
- All women can be called women
- What are some bible verses about mothers
- What is the power of god
- Do people fear their own thoughts
- Would you work 40 hours a week
- What is congratulations in the Tagalog language
- How much did it cost to build Singapore Airport
- How much does Kenya stone crusher cost
- What do you drink with greek food
- How Much Do FedEx Drivers Make
- Are Brazilian workers lazy
- Why do people have babies
- Chinese people eat butterflies
- Helps air purifier
- The advice given by financial advisors is impartial
- The family is important to everyone
- Why corporate life is bad
- Are emotions socially constructed