What business should a student start?
Self-employed as a student
Working independently during your studies: A chance - but don't lose your balance!
1. Self-employed as a student - the sweet life?
If you have to finance your studies yourself or want to earn some extra money, you may have thought about starting your own business. The advantages are - apparently - obvious: more income, more flexible working hours and vacation when you want. It is usually not that rosy, but there are good reasons to work independently as a student, for example:
At the same time you can start out "small" while studying
You check yourself and your business idea
You take on exciting projects
You gain valuable experience
You make technical or entrepreneurial mistakes and learn from them
You build up important contacts and your own professional network
But there are also Things that can be seen as disadvantages (but also learn a lot from them). Students who work independently as translators, graphic designers, management consultants, office service providers or eBay dealers differ from their fellow students who are on the job in that they
have to fulfill certain formation formalities
Negotiate pay and conditions for their work themselves
Invoice for their services and get their fee paid directly
are not entitled to protection against dismissal, paid vacation or continued payment of wages in the event of illness
In addition to income tax, you may also have to pay trade tax
have to keep proper bookkeeping
may have to take care of health insurance and pension provision yourself (depending on whether you are self-employed full-time or part-time)
Need insurance against operational risks (e.g. claims for damages)
(possibly) have to pay taxes to chambers and professional associations
What else can you expect as an entrepreneur ...
Very few young entrepreneurs have a good idea, and easy money falls from the sky. Most of the time, the opposite is the case: you have to work persistently and consistently on your project, and it doesn't necessarily attract big money.
You can also fail - that is part of being self-employed. But that doesn't have to be bad, as long as you always keep an eye on not piling up a mountain of personal debt. If you want to work successfully independently, you are your own boss and have to control yourself (and possibly others!), Find clients, conduct successful negotiations and fulfill accounting obligations. Experience has shown that ambition, a sense of responsibility, resilience and discipline do not harm.
Once the shop is up Sometimes your studies fall by the wayside: Many new self-employed people invest a lot of time and motivation in their own company and could definitely do more for the university. It is all the more important to plan properly and to organize yourself well. You may need to learn to delegate tasks and get more people on board. In the end, there is still the option of studying more slowly in order to get to the end anyway.
2. Before you start: planning and preparation
You don't necessarily need years of experience to be successful in self-employment. Sometimes this somehow happens by itself, for example through private contacts. However, the path to self-employment often requires good preparation and a lot of perseverance.
Therefore you should be clear first: Why do I even want to be self-employed or start my own company? What are my (professional and private) goals? As a self-employed person, you will need technical know-how and industry knowledge as well as a certain basic legal, tax and business knowledge in order to master your tasks - depending on the type and scope of your project, this includes administration, communication, sales, success monitoring and strategic planning.
Do not worry:
- Have you been sexually abused 1
- How is India an agricultural country
- How much do union truck drivers earn
- Stop the police cars for expired days
- How can I help older people
- What is it like to live in Fiji
- What are the benefits of essential rosewood oils
- Which country has the worst traditional food
- Why do people expect from other people
- Why do most car enthusiasts hate Honda
- How do people drink hot coffee
- How do stones improve soil drainage?
- What is picture rail
- Should you donate gold money to temples
- What are the most popular Russian spices
- Which European country grows the best fruits
- How do you prepare for changing jobs
- Why did Allah not make all people Muslims?
- What is a good stain remover for clothes
- How did you fix your dysfunctional marriage
- Is SAP's best paid job
- How is LNG transported worldwide
- How do you get into nursing school
- Political correctness is just an American thing
- Speak in tongues of any Baptist denominations
- Could medieval Europe conquer China
- Why are some Albanians hot
- How do I use Zhihu
- Music loses its value
- Do Jewish people have Santa Claus
- What are headlines in a newspaper
- Is it good to join EY GDS
- Which topic excites you the most
- What do snakes eat