5 inches is a small penis size
How big is the average penis?
Many scientific researchers have tried to answer the question that men - and women - around the world want clear information about: What is the average penis size?
We will present you with facts from all of the scientific studies on penis size, so after reading this article, you will be satisfied that you have the most accurate answer to the question. And maybe then you will be reassured about your own size or that of your partner's penis.
Published results are often presented with background information on men's widespread fears about whether or not their penis is big enough and whether their sexual partners will be satisfied. So what is the truth?
With the ubiquity of free, readily available internet pornography and the increase in aggressive marketing by companies promising a bigger penis through the use of extenders and enlargers, it is easy to see why the truth about male genital length and girth has been obscured could.
It may come as no surprise, then, that researchers keep finding that men have heightened fears about their manhood.
Fast facts on average penis size
- While 85 percent of women are satisfied with the size and proportion of their partner's penis, men are less confident.
- After all, 45 percent of men believe that they have a small penis.
- Studies have shown that the average flaccid length is 7 to 10 centimeters (2.8 to 3.9 inches).
- The average flaccid girth or girth is between 9 and 10 centimeters (3.5 to 3.9 inches).
- Energized lengths average between 12 and 16 centimeters (4.7 to 6.3 inches).
- The erect circumference is approximately 12 centimeters (4.7 inches).
When is the penis too small?
Perhaps the best guide to what is considered a small penis is the threshold that doctors use when considering penis enlargement.
Researchers, who published in the Journal of Urology, examined the penis sizes of 80 "physically normal" men and measured penis size before and after drug-induced erections.
After finding average sizes, they came to this conclusion.
"Only men with a flaccid length of less than 4 centimeters [1.6 inches] or a stretched or erect length of less than 7.5 centimeters [3 inches] should be considered as candidates for penis lengthening."
What is a 'normal' or average penis size?
In the Journal of Urology study, in the group of 80 men, the researchers found the following:
- An average penis size of 8.8 cm (3.5 inches) when the penis is flaccid
- An average erect penis size of 12.9 cm (5.1 inches)
The study also found that the size of a man's erect penis was not correlated with the size of his flaccid penis.
This means that men who have penises of different lengths when flaccid can have erect penises of similar size. There was also no relationship between the age of the men and their penis size.
The finding of how much penis length can “grow” - whether you have a “flesh penis” or a “blood penis” - was further supported by a study of 200 Turkish men in which “the flaccid length in determining the erect penis length is only one was of little importance ”.
The research to determine the average penis size includes a study published in January 2014 that examined over 1,600 American men, although no independent physical measurements were taken.
Instead, the study relied on men's own measurements of penis size. The reports can be considered fairly reliable, however, as the men should be given condoms that match the measurements they themselves reported, meaning that any inaccuracy would have resulted in ill-fitting prophylactic drugs.
In this study, the average penis size was determined as follows
The average size for an erect penis is 14.2 cm (5.6 in)
The average girth of an erect penis is 12.2 cm (4.8 inches).
The researchers said the erect penis dimensions they reported were consistent with results from other studies. Their study added the finding that the exact dimensions of an erection can be influenced by the type of arousal, such as whether a man uses hand stimulation.
To measure the length of the penis, press a ruler into the groin and measure from the base of the penis to the tip of the penis.
To measure the circumference of the penis, you wrap a tape measure around the widest part of the penis.
Penis size - women seem to care less than men
Men's concerns about whether penis size is what women want seems largely unfounded.
And unfounded worries about inadequacy are not mitigated by the fact that a man's own view of his penis automatically makes it appear smaller to him than to someone else.
Looking at the penis from above will make it appear smaller compared to how it looks straight on or from the side.
Seeing your own penis from this perspective, and perhaps comparing it to other men's appendages from a different perspective, can therefore reinforce misconceptions about the size of the penis. But do women have a more reliable perception?
A study published in the British Journal of Urology International suggests that the majority of women, about 85 percent, were satisfied with the size and proportion of their partners' penis, while men were less sure of themselves.
Almost half of the men in the study (45 percent) believed they had a small penis, but the researchers reported that small penis sizes were actually rare.
About 170 women answered questionnaires in another study that found that while they attached some importance to penis size, it was only "essential" to a "significant minority" of women.
While for most men penis size concerns are related to length, women are more interested in width, according to one study.
The study of 50 sexually active undergraduate women reported that for a large majority - 9 out of 10 women - penis width was more important than penis length for sexual satisfaction.
Women don't want men with large penises
A study published in November 2015 in the open access journal PLOS ONE pursued the novel approach of asking women about their penis size preferences with the help of printed 3D models in 33 different dimensions.
The women were asked to choose between 33 differently sized 3D-printed ‘penises’ - including the examples shown. The largest in the set was A while D was the smallest; for reasons of racial neutrality they were blue.
Sizes have been printed in a range from 10 cm to 21.5 cm in length and from 6.3 cm to 17.8 cm in circumference, based on previous studies that found an average American erect penis size of 15.2 cm (6 in ) In length with a circumference of 12.7 cm (5 inches).
The 3D printed stems were made from blue plastic so as not to suggest a particular race that might affect the perceptions of the average height women.
The 75 women who reported size preferences from the 33 blue models chose slightly differently depending on the type of relationship they were thinking of (and in each case indicated that they wanted a size just slightly above the average, the found in the studies):
- For long-term sexual partners, they opted for a penis with a slightly shorter girth and length compared to their choice for one-night stands, choosing an average length of 16 cm and a girth of 12 cm.
- In comparison, they preferred 16.25 cm in length and 12.7 cm in circumference for one-time sexual partners.
More penis dimensions
A number of different studies have attempted to determine an average penis size. In a study published in 2001, measurements were taken on 3,300 young Italian men between the ages of 17 and 19.
It found that the mean mean length of flaccid penises was 9 centimeters (3.5 inches) and the circumference of the flaccid penis (in the center of the shaft) was 10 centimeters (3.9 inches).
Another study looked at a different population of 301 physically normal Indian men and tried to compare the results with the size data in other countries.
The results, according to the authors of the 2007 study, "will help advise patients who are concerned about penis size and who are seeking penis enlargement surgery."
- Flaccid: Average length was 8.2 centimeters (3.2 inches) and the girth (of the extended flaccid penis) 9.1 centimeters (3.6 inches).
- When erect, the average length was 13.0 centimeters (5.1 inches) and the girth was 11.5 centimeters (4.5 inches).
The results, published in Nature, included a table listing previous results on penile dimensions around the world.
Click here to see the table.
Of the 16 studies they cite from different countries, the earliest was carried out over a hundred years ago and published in 1899.
They all came up with similar average penis lengths:
- The flaccid lengths ranged from 7 to 10 centimeters (2.8 to 3.9 inches).
- The flaccid girths ranged from 9 to 10 centimeters (3.5 to 3.9 inches).
- Erect lengths ranged from about 12 to 16 centimeters (4.7 to 6.3 inches).
- The erect girth (previous study only) was about 12 centimeters (4.7 inches).
Increased concerns, “misguided” requests for enlargement
The study authors from India wrote that the definition of normal penis size is of "considerable interest" as "the number of people complaining about a 'short penis' and looking for penis enlargement procedures is steadily increasing".
Other research has shown that most men who undergo penis enlargement surgery overestimate normal penis size.
In fact, in the study of 67 men who complained of a short penis, none of them were found to be significantly shortened. The authors said there are increasing numbers of men who want surgery to lengthen their penis.
Obesity and age have little influence on the size of the erect penis
In 2015, researchers in Saudi Arabia published the results of a retrospective cohort study of 778 men, a mean age of 43.7 years (between 20 and 82 years), who attended urological outpatient clinics in Saudi Arabia.
Men were excluded from the study if they were under 18 years of age, had a small or short penis, Peyronie's disease, congenital curvature, clinical hypogonadism, previous penile surgery or trauma, or a combination thereof.
After medically inducing an erection, the researchers took measurements and averaged:
- Penis length of 12.53 centimeters (4.9 inches) from the skin over the pubic bone to the tip of the penis
- Penis length of 14.34 centimeters (5.6 inches) from the pubic bone to the tip of the penis
- Penis circumference of 11.50 centimeters (4.5 inches).
The researchers also measured the men's body mass index (BMI), which increases with obesity. There was a weak correlation between a higher BMI and a shorter erect penis length when measured from the skin over the pubic area, but not when measured from the bone to the tip.
This suggests that the penis appears shorter if there is more fat under the skin at the penis root that is visible.
This study also showed a weak correlation with age for erect penile dimensions.
However, the authors noted that a slight decrease in height may be of limited importance for "aging men" - they found that "the difference between men aged 70 and 20 was less than an inch".
Penis size research from MNT news
A new finding shows evidence of a relationship between the relative length of a man's index and ring fingers and a way to predict the length of his penis.
Men who want surgery to increase the length of their penis should try non-invasive methods such as penile pullers or extenders first, and in some cases even try therapy so that they can have more confidence in their bodies, Italian urologists said in an article published in the April issue of the British Journal of Urology International.
Many men worry about their penis size. However, researchers hope that the results of a new study revealing the average penis length reassure many men that they are "normal".
- What should everyone know about perfumes
- What are professional skills
- What does it mean to wear anklets
- Will Britain ever reintroduce conscription?
- What is the Chinese word strong for?
- What is the difference between sexuality and gender
- How much does a CFO earn
- Should I invest in PPF or ELSS?
- What is an acceptable professional gift label
- Pakistan is good at dealing with India
- How Much Home Loan Amount Is Safe
- Allah is God only for Muslims
- Why is YouTube blocked in China
- Which countries have the same culture
- What is the most unusual human race
- What is corporate restructuring in layman's terms
- How can I uninstall old Java updates
- What if you fail God's test
- Why are some dreams impossible to come true
- What kind of person
- Which European countries have the fewest tourists?
- Are Jimin and Lisa together
- How often do Englishmen shower
- How heavy is biomedical engineering