How do you rate positive measures
performance evaluationPrepare and conduct the appraisal interview
4. Make an appointment for the performance assessment interview with the employee
All employees should know that there are regular performance appraisal discussions. These can be carried out annually, every six months or on specific occasions such as the end of the probationary period, transfer or transfer of new tasks. Let them know what the interview is about and give advice on how they can prepare and how the interview will play out. Please also note the formal regulations that are important in your company. This includes, for example, invitation deadlines, references to employee rights, involvement of the works council, etc.
- Make an appointment.
- Allow enough time for the interview (at least one hour per person).
- Avoid interference.
- Your employee should speak to you “at eye level”.
- Create a calm and relaxed atmosphere.
In some companies the employees write their own assessment before the interview. This can then be compared with the manager's assessment during the appraisal interview. If necessary, inform the person concerned about such possibilities.
5. Prepare a formal, written assessment
Prepare carefully for the interview with the employee about the performance appraisal. Determine for yourself what you want to achieve with the conversation. Gather all the necessary documents for the interview. It can be:
- Job descriptions
- Process descriptions
- Project documents
- Norms and standards
- Documentation of the target agreements
- Numbers, facts and examples that are helpful for measuring performance
Review your notes that you made in the past. Compare these with the agreed requirements, expectations, goals and standards as well as the individual performance criteria. In this way, develop an assessment of the individual employee performance as well as the work results and behavior as a whole. Proceed according to the following scheme:
- That is the relevant performance criterion.
- I've seen that in the past.
- I judge this as follows (use the scale).
Record particularities that explain or can explain a certain positive or negative performance. Check whether there are specific reasons for this. The assessment should include an overview of the most important events of the past working period.
If necessary, you as a manager can also talk to other people (colleagues, project managers or other superiors) in order to form an opinion and a judgment. But also observe the principles of confidentiality, fairness and respectful handling.
6. Conduct an appraisal interview with the employee
Take enough time for the conversation yourself and ensure a relaxed atmosphere. Note that the outcome of the conversation can have far-reaching consequences for everyone involved. Accordingly, the employee may be excited.
But: The appraisal interview is not a dramatic climax, but a logical conclusion to an appraisal process. It also shows how well the process of regular and direct praise and criticism (step 2) works in the company. Nevertheless: The conversation should be characterized by honesty, openness and the courage to express and represent your own opinion.
The objectives of the conversation are:
- to give the employee feedback on his performance, the work results and his behavior so that he can orientate himself;
- Identify strengths and weaknesses of the employee;
- to come to an understanding about the assessment and to clarify whether employees and superiors assess the performance equally and where and why there are different opinions;
- Discuss and agree on the next steps in order to improve the employee's performance if necessary or to discuss measures for personnel development and career advancement.
Which is of little use: Make comparisons in conversation with other employees who are better or worse. Instead, you should pay particular attention to the following aspects:
- Show interest and respect
- listen and observe well
- Include body language
- Express appreciation
- address the employee by name
- Choose I-formulations (My impression is, ...; I see it as ...)
- lead with questions
- Respect the employee's feelings and needs, wishes and concerns
- Formulate your own expectations, wishes and requirements
- Lure employees out of the reserve
- Take away fears and fears
- Signal trust
The appraisal interview offers the opportunity to discuss important issues in working life. Use this opportunity in a positive way. Discuss with the employee which measures should be implemented in the near future. Who should do what so that the person concerned can develop further?
Then record the requirements, expectations, goals and standards that should apply for the future (return to step 1).
7. Document the conversation and initiate the implementation of the measures
Record the results of the appraisal interview in writing. The opinion of the superior is decisive for the assessment. But also document the differing opinions of the employee concerned. The employee has the right to object to the manager's assessment in writing. This contradiction goes into the personnel file. The documentation of the appraisal interview is strictly confidential and may only be kept in the personnel file of the person concerned.
Create an action plan that describes what should be done to improve the employee's performance or to make better use of their strengths. Record what the employee has to do himself and where you have to support him as a manager.
Make notes for the next working period up to the next appraisal interview (return to step 1). Make sure that the agreed measures have a positive effect, that they are not only processed pro forma, but actually contribute to improving performance. Document these improvements for the next interview or record if there are no improvements.
- What is a main snack for Brazilians
- Are angels male or female
- What questions has humanity not answered?
- Why don't Germans drink tap water?
- How does Australia see Donald Trump
- How do i sell my house
- What does Ixnay on Ongsay mean
- What is Ajman X 2018
- What is your most painful menopause symptom
- What percentage of Google employees are women?
- How long does a money order take
- Are there abandoned submarines
- Why do people have sex in private
- Chinese characters were made by the Japanese
- 511 is much greater than 59
- Why are marriages not made in heaven?
- How to Cultivate Tarot Skills
- Im 13 I am a millennial
- What could I do without the use of technology
- Which frustrates most programmers
- Why don't we look like our parents?
- Are Chinese and Manadarin the same
- Does trypophobia really exist
- Which is the best augmented reality industry