Is it good to be self-centered?
Loneliness makes you self-centered - and vice versa
Feeling lonely now and then, separated and isolated from other people, this feeling is part of life. A representative survey recently revealed that four out of five Germans feel lonely at least sometimes - regardless of whether they were 18 years old like the youngest respondents or 70 like the oldest. According to the survey, loneliness was a constant companion for every eighth person.
Three psychologists from the University of Chicago have now looked at what happens in the long run to people who often feel so abandoned. John Cacioppo, who works as a professor at the Center for Cognitive and Social Neuroscience, and two colleagues examined data from almost 230 test subjects who had been questioned repeatedly for over eleven years. They were between 50 and 68 years old at the start of their studies, and between 61 and 79 years at the end.
Over this period of eleven years, the loneliness primarily led to the test subjects becoming more self-centered, the scientists write in the journal “Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin”“. That doesn't sound particularly surprising, and it wasn't for the researchers either. If you feel lonely and have less fulfilling relationships with other people, you inevitably have to limit yourself to yourself.
Those who revolve around themselves a lot tend to get lonely
However, the researchers also found the opposite effect: those who were more self-centered than others and circled around themselves a lot at the beginning of the study also felt more lonely years later.
So there seems to be a direct link between feeling isolated from others and a tendency to be overly concerned with oneself, both ways. Once triggered, these two unfortunately fuel each other. "Those who become more self-centered run the risk of being stuck in the feeling of loneliness in the long term," the scientists conclude. And those who are lonely tend to revolve more and more around themselves as a result.
- Anyone hates all kinds of music
- What is the lifestyle of america
- How does home care work
- Brings the seventh season of Fortnite back to life
- What is a sausage
- On which index does India calculate its inflation
- What are the five types of cheese
- Microsoft revises its employees
- Should immigration in the UK be limited
- Walmart accepts Samsung Pay
- Which is the second richest family in the world
- Who can use handwriting recognition technology?
- Can boys wear leggings like girls
- How does AI improve medical routine
- How is Mongolian lambskin made
- What wars did Britain lose?
- How to use escalators
- How does BIM benefit architects
- How many seconds are 4,550,000,000 years away
- There were typhoons during World War II
- Can you smell diseases
- What are the best event management companies
- How many people speak the Breton language
- What does urbanization mean