Who owned the very first cell phone
How it all began: the history of the smartphone
About 20 years ago, IBM brought the first ancestor of modern smartphones onto the market. During this period, development progressed at great speed. The bulky crusher from back then is now ultra-thin, serves as a camera replacement and can do almost everything that a complete PC can do. Oh yes, by the way, you can still make calls.
Time for a history lesson: Have you ever wondered who is the origin of today's smartphone? And when, for example, were the first cameras, the first web browser or the first 1 GHz CPU used in mobile phones? We are now devoting ourselves to a short journey through time and reviewing the last 20 years in quick succession. In our picture gallery you will find all smartphone milestones with the corresponding information.
The first smartphone: IBM Simon
It all started in 1992. Cell phones had been around for a long time at that point, if not in the way we know them today - they were actually just "cell phones". Telephoning with the "cell phone" was not enough for IBM, however; the US company was thinking of many more functions that a mobile device should have. Such as the functions of a computer - why not? The ancestor of the modern smartphone was born! With the IBM Simon you could send e-mails and faxes, manage a calendar and an address book and play games. In addition, the IBM Simon was the first device with a touchscreen.
First mobile phone with a camera: Toshiba Camesse
Admittedly, the Toshiba Camesse, which was released in 1999, wasn't actually a real smartphone - it could only make calls. Still, it's an important piece of equipment to mention. Because the Camesse was the first mobile phone with a built-in digital camera. After about three years, more and more manufacturers came up with the great idea of integrating cameras in their smartphones. The quality, however, was more bad than good. The Sharp GX30 was able to counteract this and came onto the market in Germany for the first time in 2004 with a 1 megapixel camera.
Revolutionary operating systems: Android and iOS
In addition to the hardware, the software is decisive for the choice of the smartphone. The American company Apple, initially a manufacturer of computers, launched its first smartphone with the name iPhone in 2007. The hardware components used did not represent a major innovation. But the self-developed operating system was so well received that the iPhone quickly became a bestseller - that's how the Apple hype began. A year later, the first smartphone with Google's Android operating system, the HTC Dream, came onto the market. Initially with limited success, Android quickly developed into the most popular operating system for mobile devices.
The best Android smartphone in the test
Current smartphones: ultra-thin, powerful, huge display
16 years of smartphone development have left their mark. There is almost nothing left of the bulky, heavy cell phone. But today's smartphones and their forerunners still have one thing: They are small, mobile computers. Today's smartphone models in the high-end class are only a few millimeters flat, offer at least one dual-core, and recently a quad-core CPU, and have huge touchscreens around 5 inches. In addition, there is fast Internet via HSPA + and, in some cases, LTE and a large internal memory for multimedia content. Not to be forgotten are the intelligent software functions and the possibility of installing programs via certain app stores.
Samsung Galaxy S3 in the first test
In our picture gallery you will find some milestones in the 20 years of smartphone development. Do you recognize one or the other device? It is impressive how the smartphone models have developed during this time - and not just on the outside. The currently installed hardware is sometimes more powerful than some PCs back then.
- Are Armenians and Middle Easterners seen as white
- Are online international relationships real relationships?
- What should I do to save taxes?
- What should my marketing job title be?
- Why can't vets work on humans?
- Who were the ancestors of the English peoples
- Why is the Vietnamese currency weak
- Is it a racist word to call someone pale?
- Why are Ethiopians beautiful
- What is a man's heroic instinct
- What do boys and girls never tell
- How does Dr. Pepper
- Are crossdressers gay
- Which cigar has the best smelling smoke
- Is Rey really the granddaughter of Emperor Palpatine?
- How many grandparents raise their grandchildren
- Is Tokyo a good place to live
- What makes you silently respect someone
- Maesten baked beans
- Has Hollywood ever copied from Kollywood
- What's wrong with the Pakistani economy
- Is it legal to be a ticket scalper?
- Are chiropractors good for you?
- What is the concept of business development?
- What drives fashion trends
- How can we make America America again?
- What is the best treatment for Parkinson's
- What are PMP and PRINCE2 Certifications
- What is your favorite game for the exclusive PlayStation
- What if there are no rules
- Why do some people abuse dogs
- What personalities are INFJ types attracted to?
- How to say do in Vietnamese
- What is the Motte and Bailey Doctrine