Why is Albania so poor
Albania is a country in southeastern Europe. It lies across from Italy on the Adriatic Sea on the Mediterranean Sea and thus belongs to the Balkans. There are a lot of mountains, but also a flat coast.
Albania is slightly smaller than Switzerland and has only a third as many inhabitants. Many Albanians live in other countries. Albania is now a republic. Parliament has a lot of influence. The capital is called Tirana. The currency is the Albanian Lek.
Most of the people in the country speak Albanian. But there are also many minorities in Albania who speak other languages. There are different religions in Albania: Muslims, Orthodox Christians and people without religion.
What happened earlier in Albania?
The country belonged to the Ottoman Empire for a long time and only became independent in 1912. Many Albanians left the area before independence to live in other countries. Many later went to the United States.
During the Second World War the country was occupied by Italy, against which many Albanians resisted. After the Second World War, Albania became a communist country. The rulers ensured that Albanians had little to do with foreign countries. First the Albanian communists worked with Yugoslavia, then with the Soviet Union and later with communist China. All religions were banned in Albania during this time.
Communism collapsed in the 1990s. As a result, the country got even more problems. That is why a third of the Albanians fled their country in the following years. There were always conflicts over the borders of Albania, especially over the area of Kosovo, which had long been part of Yugoslavia and in which many Albanians live. Albanians from Albania were also involved in the war in 1998 and in the armed conflict in neighboring North Macedonia in 2001.
How do people live?
In the years from 1990 onwards, the Albanians felt badly. The economy has since recovered. Many businesses were renewed. Roads were also renewed and expanded. Tourism increased. Nevertheless, Albania is still one of the poorest countries in Europe today. Around every sixth inhabitant has no job. Around every eighth inhabitant is considered poor. The water often only flows for a few hours a day.
In 2006 the neighboring country Bulgaria shut down its nuclear power plant. As a result, Albania could no longer buy electricity from there. This then kept failing. In the meantime Albania has renewed its hydropower plants and the situation is getting better and better.
A lot of natural gas and oil are stored in the soil of Albania, but they are not extracted. There are also metals such as copper, but also coal, clay and other mineral resources, some of which are mined and sold abroad. That also creates jobs.
There are many different animal and plant species in Albania. Many are even exclusively here. They are called endemics. Together with the beautiful areas, this attracts many tourists, especially from countries that are nearby. This also creates jobs and income for many Albanians.
- What was the first novel
- What does an SpO2 of 78 mean?
- How poor people afford children
- What is the career growth like at RBI
- What is your favorite food in the southern United States
- Why does coffee sometimes smell like a cigarette
- Is RM from BTS fat
- Why do you like living in London?
- Why I hate the Congress Party
- What does it mean to share love
- Are there new business opportunities
- What are the moral values type
- Why are schools politically liberal?
- Why are dress codes sexist
- Copies code from GitHub plagiarism
- Is 14 too old to be breastfed
- Which country has the most trustworthy women
- What is Lazada Mall
- How are the tourists in Djibouti?
- Portugal celebrates festivals in other countries
- Which actors don't do blockbusters?
- Eritrea has internet
- Falls MS in Architecture under STEM
- Is high inflation good for debt?
- What is prefabrication construction
- Will America enter a lost decade
- Why did Google Glass fail
- Which countries only accept GRE
- Is sausage made from beef
- Hindus eat some kind of meat
- Is Marilyn Manson in the Illuminati
- Which MBTI personalities love INFPs
- Should I ask my teachers questions