May women get poems from men
Online dating study: women have to be young, men have to be educated
Michigan - Women must be young, men must be educated. These new study results are depressing, comments the Guardian. The recently published study of the online dating behavior of heterosexual Americans would once again highlight a problem that pervades society as a whole. The supposedly depressing finding: the attractiveness of women compared to men would have a particularly early expiration date.
Details of the investigation
Scientists Elizabeth Bruch and Martin Newman from the University of Michigan analyzed data from users of a popular free online dating service in four major US cities (New York, Boston, Chicago and Seattle), where the user density is high. Personal data such as age, place of residence and relationship status were recorded upon registration and included in the analysis. Providing further details, including body size and religion, and answering open questions about yourself were optional. Over the course of a month, the authors observed patterns in the behavior of users, i.e. their message traffic, and their attractiveness values in order to find out who is attracted to whom and for what reason.
A person's attraction was tied to the number of messages sent to them. From this, the research team calculated an attractiveness scale with the inclusion of information on physical attractiveness, income, ethnicity and level of education. Using these values, they determined a person's degree of desirability.
Attractiveness has an expiration date
The provocative finding: Older women are less desirable than older men. At the age of 18 women would have reached the peak of their attractiveness in the eyes of the opposite sex, the scientists discover. After that, this decreases more and more. The same applies to men, but only over the age of 50. Arwa Mahdawi from the Guardian comments: This study shows, in a way, that straight men find girls rather than women attractive. After all, 18-year-olds would still be teenagers.
In addition to age, a person's attractiveness was also dependent on their level of education. Women and men also differed in their preferences: while for women men with a postgraduate degree or doctorate were most attractive, for men it was women with a slightly lower level of education, more precisely: an undergraduate or bachelor's degree. Female doctoral students were a little less popular. In order to determine the result for the educational level in isolation and to prevent falsification, the age of the users was taken into account in the calculation.
Hierarchy in the love market
But men and women had one thing in common: they all liked to send messages to people who were on average a little more attractive than they were - namely by around 25 percent. The findings confirm the concept of "dating leagues". The results also show that dating outside of one's own "league" is quite possible - even if this may require more effort, say the scientists.
Finally, the authors point out that searching for a partner "in real life" could differ considerably from searching on the Internet. For example, it would be very possible to apply stricter selection criteria for online dating, because countless other options would be waiting. (Roxane Seckauer, August 31, 2018)
- How big is Zlatan
- What can employers ask when doing the background check
- Is it really fruitful to be a software developer?
- Deaf people think in sign language
- Which books will you read in 2019
- Which single-use plastics should we ban?
- What is a typical dinner in Norway
- Friends TV series What is Chandler's Job
- Are the fumes from plastic garbage harmful
- Is bread harmful to health
- Which region of France is the safest
- What if Britain stayed neutral during World War II?
- Can a mechanical engineer become a civil engineer
- How can I get motivation quickly
- Describe your kindergarten teacher
- Why is it called New Jersey
- Are INFPs compatible with ESTJs or ENTJs
- What do you think of London 1
- How do you save money for retirement
- What do you want for breakfast
- What is a CA company
- What personalities are INFJ types attracted to?
- How did investors become investors?
- How much does Kenya stone crusher cost
- Why doesn't the world have a currency
- How are Christians treated in India
- What is the origin of the Karachi Bakery
- Citizenship in Sweden is granted from birth
- How do I find the latest geothermal technology
- Is 54 short for a guy
- Why are people leaving the church
- Chinese people eat turtles
- What if I said I know you