How can language influence communication
How does digital communication influence our language?
E-mail, Twitter, WhatsApp and, last but not least, the classic SMS: Modern cell phones offer - in addition to making calls - a whole range of options for communicating with one another almost in real time. This digital communication has produced its own typical style of speech.
Characteristic for such digital forms of communication is a simple, concise expression, often more in fragments than in whole sentences, which brings the content “short and sweet” to the point. Often the technical possibilities alone limit the scope of a message, because only a certain number of characters is available for an SMS or a tweet. Abbreviations have therefore been established for texting and chatting, for example HDL (love you), 4U (for you), OMG (oh my God) or fyi (for your information) ).
Network communication as an independent language category
While critical voices repeatedly rate these developments as signs of a "linguistic decline" especially among the younger generation, linguists are less pessimistic: They see so-called "network communication" as a separate language category that has emerged from the specific communication formats of digital media. German studies professor Angelika Storrer, for example, speaks of an “interaction-oriented writing posture” in which the focus is not on the writing product (i.e. the text quality) but on the ongoing interaction. In general, with this form of communication, a quick reaction to messages is more important than a polished linguistic expression.
- Why are people afraid of dying
- Are senior investment bankers happy?
- Do women feel horny during their period?
- Why are vowels pronounced differently in English?
- What do you eat for brunch
- Can I start producing music when I am 30?
- What are Craigslist's strongest competitors
- Can a basement have a basement
- What is the classification of the computer
- Which Indian start-up is laying off employees?
- Can I get taller with HGH?
- At what age does sexual desire reach its peak
- How do you deal with disabled people
- Make nylons smell bad
- What are your unusual favorite candle scents?
- What does an IT manager do
- Where is ginger stored
- How to learn to read italics
- What was the first novel
- How can I learn witchcraft
- But how do you say in Vietnamese
- Which factors influence Israel's foreign policy?
- How can I make an appointment with a white man
- Are intercaste marriages successful in the long run
- Why is Ireland not part of NATO?
- What can a smartphone do
- How is sex with a transvestite
- Are you human what makes you so
- Should countries specialize or diversify their economies
- Women deserve equal pay
- What are classical music
- Exercise Helps Mental Health
- Why do women wear knee socks
- Which countries are relatively rich in Africa?