What was the 1965 Immigration Act
U.S. Immigration policy
Mentally disabled people, people with tuberculosis, people with physical or mental defects and unaccompanied young people under 16 are excluded from immigration. The immigration tax will be increased.
Annual immigration will be reduced to 150,000. The nationality quota is set at 2% of the number of members of that nationality as counted in the 1920 census. This law remained in force until 1965.
The McCarran-Walter Act combines earlier immigration laws. The "race" category as an exclusion criterion will be removed. An ideological criterion for immigration is introduced: immigrants and visitors to the USA can be denied access due to their ideological attitude (e.g. if they are communists). The national quotas are retained. Special categories are introduced for skilled workers and for relatives of American citizens and resident alien workers.
Immigration Act. To combat illegal immigration, Congress is doubling the number of U.S. Border controls. Fences are to be erected in the most heavily used areas of the U.S.-Mexico border, and President Clinton signed a welfare bill that removes many programs for immigrants.
Any reference obtained from this server to a specific commercial product, process, or service does not constitute or imply an endorsement by the United States Government of the product, process, or service, or its producer or provider. The views and opinions expressed in any referenced document do not necessarily state or reflect those of the United States Government.
| U.S. Diplomatic Mission to Germany / Public Affairs / Information Resource Centers|
Updated: April 2006
- Are you afraid of old age?
- What are professional skills
- Indians are as smart as the Chinese
- Can an Indian adopt a European child
- What is the role of a child
- Why many new entrepreneurs fail
- What facilities do IB schools offer
- Which countries are interested in Mongolia
- Taiwanese in China consider themselves Chinese
- How can I become a biotech scientist?
- What Are Some Inventors In The Victorian Times
- What is the difference between sexuality and gender
- What is the origin of the Karachi Bakery
- Who is China's number one stock trader
- Your country accepts foreign-born presidents
- Who Uses Applicant Tracking Systems
- What are the best TV horror series
- What are common labor laws
- When do you feel degraded?
- Children in orphanages have surnames
- What goes through the mind of a confident man
- Do companies need a content writing agency?
- What is your worst sexual harassment experience
- Is Switzerland a forgotten country?