What is the Chinese word for Uber
The controversial N word in the Chinese language
Recently, a businessman approached me about this N-word in the Chinese language. Which N-word? Anyone looking at the Chinese-German dictionary will find the expression nà ge (4th tone, neutral tone) under the expression 那个 in the official transliteration Pinyin.
The German translation is those, that, that (there). The Chinese pronunciation nèigè is also common.
Opinions differ on this value-free expression, which is not lacking in any everyday and business situation. In intercultural encounters in China and in the Chinese-speaking environment, it repeatedly causes irritation and sometimes discomfort. Why?
Easy to explain: Quite often, when speaking quickly, a sound that sounds like "nigga" comes out of the lips of Chinese friends and business partners. After almost imperceptible bewilderment, a decision is made in a matter of seconds whether the faces of the international conversation partners take on an understanding or a constrained, dismissive trait. Who knows at the beginning of his stay in China that »nigga« is not a racist expression, but that, that, that (there) means and is often woven into sentences as a filler word?
Under 'The "N" Word in Mandarin Chinese 那个 Niggaa ’you will find an informative video on the Internet with examples from everyday Chinese life.
Barbara Heyken is a sinologist and certified intercultural trainer.
Email: [email protected]
About expat news
Expat News is a German-language service and news portal that provides readers with information on all aspects of living and working abroad.
If you have any questions / suggestions or are interested in writing articles as a guest author, those interested are welcome to contact editor-in-chief Anne-Katrin Schwanitz.
- Can Muslims attend Christmas celebrations
- Are libraries out of date
- Does China still need its Hukou system?
- What are the 3 definitions of sociology
- Locusts bite people
- Why are you considering outsourcing
- Is it normal to hate a language?
- How many people work out from home
- What is the correct pronunciation for Rocawear
- Australians like Indian food
- What are prosthetic teeth made of
- Why do people fear higher level math
- What makes a great cook
- Why are we disappointed in life
- Why does my iPad switch off suddenly?
- Men and women see love differently
- What does it mean to be palliative
- What are some bible verses about mothers
- What is machine language translation
- Vaping leaves an odor on clothing
- Is infidelity in a relationship forgivable
- How many hours does a freelancer work
- Can we ever forgive Germany for World War II
- How do I impress a Romanian girl