Your country accepts foreign-born presidents
USA - history, economy, society
Prof. Dr. Jörg Nagler was a research fellow at the German Historical Institute in Washington, D.C., director of the Kennedy House in Kiel and has been teaching North American history at the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena since 1999. His work focuses on the social and political history of the USA in the 19th and 20th centuries, war and society in the USA, history of immigration, German-American cultural transfer and African-American history.
In 2010, about 37 million Americans were born abroad, which corresponds to approximately 13 percent of the total population. Since the census survey of 1990, the proportion of immigrants in the total population has risen by more than 50 percent. Over 40 percent of all foreign-born US citizens have immigrated to the United States since 1990. Within this group, over 41 percent come from Latin America and about 37 percent from Asia.
The ethnic composition of the population has also changed over the decades. In the 1950 census, the proportion of Afro-Americans was around ten percent; in 2010, their share was estimated at around 39 million and thus around 12.2 percent of the total population.
According to demographic projections, the white proportion of the population will shrink from approx. 63 percent in 2012 to 43 percent in 2060. During the same period, the black population will decrease from 13 to 15 percent and the Asian population from 5.1 to approx. 8.2 percent to grow. The largest increase will be in the Hispanic American population: in 2012, their share was 17 percent, which corresponds to around 50 million people. In 2060, they are expected to make up 31 percent of the total population.
- How do I catch a fraudster
- How does air affect concrete?
- Why do people make sexuality and gender difficult
- What will future generations judge us for?
- What happens when a real estate bubble bursts
- How does economic growth affect a company?
- What is an antique store
- Do Muslims speak Tamil
- Is it normal to feel angry?
- What is your experience with ExpertOption?
- Strippers have sex with clients
- What is the brutal truth about poverty
- Can a horse be ridden to death
- Why do people spit a lot
- What are the legal benefits of marriage
- Which characteristics define the matriarchy
- What makes something a cliché
- We are all victims of life experiences
- Is Jesus Christ still alive?
- What is a smart person
- Are women really bisexual?
- Eating French Canadians baguettes
- Who are Generation Z children
- Why are Americans not Asians