People in China use Gmail
EU companies complain about internet censorship that is damaging to business in China
It is a paradox: 300 million people in China use the Internet - but only a fraction of the people know about censorship. The government uses various methods for this. Filters are used as well as spying and intimidation. In addition to pornographic sites, the government bans appearances by religious and political groups that the government regards as 'harmful'. Well-known news sites such as the BBC or social media portals such as Facebook, Twitter and Youtube are also not accessible. Now China is tightening the censorship and expanding the blockades to several Internet sites. The large provider of cloud services, Edgecast, admitted in a press release on November 18 that many of its services have recently become unavailable or only available to a limited extent from China. Greatfire.org censorship experts described the move as an "attempt to cut China off from the global Internet." The organization had denounced on several occasions that China's censorship apparatus was operating more and more sophisticated. In some cases, access to international websites is deliberately slowed down in order to make them unusable for Chinese users. China's internet has been tightly controlled for years. Social networks such as Facebook and Twitter as well as Youtube or websites of human rights organizations and foreign media such as the “New York Times” or the Bloomberg news agency cannot be accessed from China. This year, China had already extended the locks. Shortly before the 25th anniversary of the Beijing massacre in June, access to all Google services in China such as search, Gmail, Maps and the photo platform Picasa was blocked for the first time.
- Which Chinese food is low in calories?
- Are German universities really free
- What creepy things are around you
- How will Generation Z be
- Why did the MeToo movement stop
- How does your room reflect your personality?
- Who inspires you to do something great?
- Why aren't schools doing enough about bullying?
- Why do farmers work so long
- Why is Chicago such a boring city
- How does more education lead to divorce
- Can I work 3 part time jobs
- What are the disciples in the Bible
- What color can go with pink leggings
- How can I make real friends
- Terra Nova is worth seeing
- Why don't Americans cook at home anymore
- How does intelligent parking work
- Who is Marilyn Manson's ex-wife
- White people hate Mexican Americans
- Why is Nigerian Oil the Best
- What is polyethylene used for?
- How do you clean a porcelain sink
- How did the first person die