Why am I dizzy and shivering?
Circulatory weakness: causes and symptoms: what to do if you feel faint?
Shaky hands, black flickering in front of the eyes, wobbly on the legs - this is usually a fit of weakness. Those affected often feel better after just a few minutes. Nevertheless, circulatory weakness should not be underestimated - and preventing it takes little effort, as a general practitioner from Augsburg explains.
Causes and Symptoms: How does a fit of weakness express itself?
Healthy, younger people usually suffer from weakness. "If you get up too quickly in the morning, bend down too quickly or turn around, your eyes may flicker - these are the first signs," says the doctor. But stressed, overtired people are also at risk. Likewise, temperature fluctuations can upset our immune system and trigger a fit of weakness,
People who already suffer from low blood pressure are more often affected. Be careful here, especially on hot summer days.
The symptoms of a bout of weakness vary: a flickering or even blackness in front of the eyes, loud heartbeat, noise in the ears, shaky limbs as well as dizziness and nausea - the list is long and varies from person to person.
Circulatory weakness: This happens to the body when it becomes weak
During a fit of weakness there is a short-term deficiency in the blood vessels: "The blood pressure is so low for a short time that the blood does not flow through the vessels quickly enough - and then it puts you down." But just because the body is less supplied with blood in this case does not mean that it is a circulatory disorder. "Such attacks of weakness are usually not a cause for concern. The body has a quick regulation program and itself ensures that the blood supply will soon improve again," explains the doctor. That is also the reason why you usually go to the ground when you feel weak: The body maneuvers itself horizontally so that the blood can flow regularly again.
However, anyone who is previously ill or is of advanced age cannot rule out the possibility that such attacks of dizziness may have a more serious background. In these cases, a doctor's visit is strongly advisable.
Feeling weak: what to do?
If you suffer an acute attack of weakness, it is best to let the body take the first step: Most of the time, those affected automatically sink to the ground. If you then put your feet up and thus further stimulate the blood circulation, you are already on the mend, says Beck. Cool air can also help, as well as shirt collars or the like should be widened. Fast-acting carbohydrates and glucose, such as those found in apple juice, are optimal at this moment.
The following applies as a preventive measure: Drinking a lot and exercising regularly are essential. "Exercise keeps the immune system in good shape and a visit to the sauna every now and then stimulates the alternating stimuli and can also have a preventative effect," recommends the doctor. He also has advice when it comes to nutrition: Several smaller meals a day are better than leaving the body waiting for hours for a voluminous meal. (with sge)
You can find more helpful information here in our health guide.
Editor's note: This article is a contribution from our online archive.
- Is school a job?
- Why can't gay men marry women
- Who is the most generous CEO in the world?
- At what age do arranged marriages take place
- Which employees left Quora in 2012
- Pit bulls are the most abused dog
- What is your best childhood memory 3
- I feel overwhelmed what can I do
- Why did Google Glass fail
- What fruits grow in Australia
- Why doesn't VLC play Dolby TrueHD?
- Parents are the best teachers for children
- Brits like to cuddle
- Helps Garlic With Blood Sugar
- What are the differences between protests and demonstrations
- Can we stop birth and death
- How can I become a panhandler
- What is a good job to learn
- What is China's one-child policy
- Why are the stolen generations important
- What are some effective ways to flirt
- PlanetSide 2 is a good game
- Hardik Patel is a homosexual
- What is a police investigation
- Why are my lips sticky
- What does the Bible say about longevity
- Can nationalism and globalization coexist
- Do child actors have tantrums on the set
- What transferable skills do you have
- How do I impress a Scottish person
- How much do civil engineers earn
- What kind of skill makes us human
- What are some interesting facts about Mindvalley
- Is crossdressing good for you