What is the Best Cervical Spondylosis Treatment
Almost every older adult knows the problem: Neck or back pain interferes with everyday life and leisure activities. Sometimes those affected complain of massive complaints. The quality of life suffers noticeably. As a possible cause is regularly the Wear and tear on the spine, scientifically known as spondylosis (ICD code: M47), in the room. The characteristics and exact circumstances of spondylosis can be very different. Therefore, the treatment, from physiotherapy to an operation to rehab, must always be put together individually. Patients with spondylosis need some time and good professional care to determine their most effective actions.
What does spondylosis mean?
Spondylosis, scientifically called spondylosis deformans, is not caused by inflammation. Rather, it stands as Umbrella termf for complaints of the spine caused by wear and tear. Other common names for the disease are Spondylarthrosis, osteoarthritis the spine respectively Facet syndrome.
As a characteristic feature, bony spurs (spondylophytes) are formed on particularly stressed vertebral bodies. They are considered to be the body's reaction to a spine that is becoming increasingly unstable due to wear and tear or other causes. Because with increasing age, those acting as a buffer between the vertebrae of humans lose Band washers of elasticity. They dry out and become thinner. Due to wear and tear, the distance between the individual vertebral bodies sometimes decreases until they reach the connecting ones Facet joints touch.
The constant stress on the back or neck in everyday life intensifies the disease, which is known as facet syndrome. The human organism tries to counteract the instability of the spine through additional growth of the bones and thus to strengthen it. The bone spurs or spondylophytes arise. They can be found in most people in the course of their lives. Only when they Directly constrict blood vessels, nerves or the spinal canal, threaten neurological disorders and neck or back pain.
Forms and causes of spondylosis
According to the cause of the damage, medicine distinguishes several forms.
- Vertebral artery or anterior spinal artery compression syndrome: The deformed spine exerts pressure on the blood vessels supplying the spinal cord. As a result, the nerve cells lack the essential nutrients and oxygen. They are dying off. This type of damage to the spinal cord is what science calls Myelopathy.
- Spondylogenic Compression: The medical professional understands this to mean a spinal canal that is narrowed due to the deformation of the bones. This so-called Spinal stenosis presses directly on the spinal cord and regularly causes severe back pain and neurological complaints.
- Spondylosis with radiculopathy: Also known as root syndrome, it describes direct damage to the nerve root.
- Spondylosis deformans: If the bony spurs of different vertebrae connect with one another, a coherent structure is formed. This restricts the mobility of the spine.
- Hyperostotic spondylosis: Another special form is that caused by a metabolic disease such as diabetes.
- If neither myelopathy nor radiculopathy or neurological disorders occur, the disease is one of the other spondylosis.
Exceptional costs or the external influence on the spine, by force or Falls, are among the other reasons for spondylosis. In a few cases the genetic, hereditary predisposition plays a certain role.
Additional risk factors
In addition to age-related symptoms, a number of factors often have a negative effect on the disease of spondylosis. These include
- persistently poor posture when sitting and standing as well as when carrying loads,
- Overweight and obesity,
- excessive tobacco consumption (deprives bones of calcium),
- Deficits in nutrition or the supply of minerals and vitamins as well
- insufficiently or incorrectly trained muscles that cannot relieve the spine.
First signs, symptoms and course of the disease of spondylosis
Although spondylosis often develops over many years without any major, identifiable physical problems, it affects all areas of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. Accordingly, patients complain of various symptoms. Typically kick initially lighter pain which increase noticeably over time. For example, complaints in the neck then also radiate to the legs or arms. The wear and tear of the vertebrae leads to significant nerve pain and other neurological symptoms if the spinal nerves or the spinal cord are damaged. Common symptoms in patients with spondylosis with myelopathy or radiculopathy include:
- a tingling sensation or other abnormal sensation, such as numbness in the extremities
- Muscle tension due to a forced posture caused by pain,
- Unexpected weaknesses that cannot be explained by the muscles,
- the loss of control of the bowel or bladder as well
- Symptoms of paralysis and painful disorders of the musculoskeletal system.
Diagnosis of spondylosis
The doctor uses a detailed questioning and thorough physical examination of the affected person as a basis for diagnosing spondylosis. To do this, he leads various Function tests in terms of mobility. He closes inflammation as the cause of the complaints with the help of a blood sample out. Provide clarity imaging procedures such as x-rays, computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI). This shows changes in the skeleton as well as abnormalities in muscles, ligaments or tissue. A myelogram provides information about possible nerve damage.
Treatment options for spondylosis
Depending on the symptoms or the clinical picture, the treatment of spondylosis is usually initially about one Pain relief. It is also important to meet existing restrictions in mobility. Where usual pain relievers are insufficient due to wear and tear, the doctor will prescribe an antispasmodic (Muscle relaxant). In addition, he uses anti-epileptic drugs to treat damaged nerves and - in the case of very severe pain - narcotics. The latter takes place, for example, in the form of injections like a Facet infiltration.
To improve the mobility of the spine, there is almost always one physical therapy into consideration. An individually created training plan aims to stabilize the weakened intervertebral disc and to stop or at least delay further wear and tear.
Where none of the therapeutic approaches works, sometimes only one remains surgery. The surgeon creates sufficient space for the affected intervertebral discs and nerves to alleviate the symptoms. This sometimes requires that Stiffen individual vertebrae. Due to the existing risks (for example in patients with osteoporosis) and possible side effects, such an intervention is the last option for all serious medical professionals.
Rehabilitation provides relief for spondylosis
Where outpatient treatment is insufficient or even an operation was necessary, there is one inpatient rehabilitation measure at. Specialized clinics or rehabilitation centers with corresponding specialists in orthopedics offer a wide range of therapy concepts.
In the conservative healing process (without surgery), the family doctor initiates orthopedic rehabilitation through the responsible providers or health insurance companies. The rehabilitation facility creates an individual and intensive program as part of the treatment, which lasts several weeks
- Pain treatment,
- Relaxation exercises as well
- sporting activities within the scope of the respective performance.
The chances of rehab increase with the personal readinessto participate - for example in normalizing body weight. In most cases, the conservative methods achieve extremely good results in terms of long-term improvement of the spondylosis.
After an operation for spondylosis, rehab supports this Activation of the back and abdominal muscles. At the same time, it prevents overload and makes it easier to return to everyday life: For this, it uses rehabilitation measures similar to those used with conservative healing methods. It usually takes place around twelve weeks after the procedure and the ossification of any foreign bodies that may have been inserted.
Prevent and make your own contribution against spondylosis
Preventive measures help to significantly reduce the personal risk of severe forms of spondylosis. If you do something yourself for your back health at an early stage, you will often save yourself unpleasant consequences and pain later. So relieves one healthy body weight the joints and the spine. The effort, your own Ergonomic workstation and desk to set up is just as worthwhile as one appropriate posture in everyday activities. This applies in particular to carrying loads. Also protects a strong and supple muscles naturally from bad posture. Additionally procured Move as well as even training for the back and abdomen of the spine, more stability. The latter balances the acting tensile forces and thus avoids so-called imbalances.
Bottom line - spondylosis due to wear and tear affects a lot of people
Spondylosis is one of the most common diseases of the spine. It develops in different ways, depending on the individual dispositions and living conditions. The course can be specifically influenced with the help of preventive measures, medical and therapeutic support, for example through rehab. Those who actively counter spondylosis at an early stage reduce the risk and maintain their quality of life. It reduces the risk of serious and persistent pain, muscle tension or even permanent damage to the spinal cord.
Last changed on: 06/11/2020
- Share this post now
- What is your country of origin
- Which have better packages DRDO or BARC
- What is the reason for begging
- What is bureaucratic attitude
- What shows up in a criminal investigation
- Practicing incest could be psychologically damaging
- Turkish girls marry Indian boys
- Music loses its value
- Who called Australia
- What is included in a Meet Greet
- Foreigners can own land in Batam Indonesia
- What are the traditional breakfasts in Turkey
- Is dating necessary
- What does issued US Visa Status mean
- How did you make money with Swagbucks
- What do you knowingly take for granted
- Has SETI found any interesting signals
- Schools should ban YouTube
- Why is monogamy considered natural
- What is DOT drug and alcohol testing
- Which European country grows the best fruits
- How does mental fatigue work
- Was China's one-child policy wrong?
- Is it racist to criticize Obama?