Why are white genes recessive?
Dominant hereditary factors prevail over recessive ones.
red = dominant allele,
white = recessive allele
If there is a double set of chromosomes, genes are in pairs, with one gene on each chromosome. The DNA of the corresponding genes can vary somewhat, so that the genes are present in different forms (alleles). A distinction is made between dominant (Latin dominare = rule) and recessive (Latin recedere = retreat) alleles. The property of the dominant allele prevails over that of the recessive allele. The characteristic of a recessive allele is only pronounced when two recessive alleles meet, i.e. the characteristic is homozygous (pure hereditary).
If both parents have a dominant and a recessive allele (heterozygous), three out of four offspring show the dominant trait, namely all offspring who have inherited the dominant allele (see figure). The recessive trait only prevails in one of four offspring, namely the one who has inherited two recessive alleles.
This distribution of parental alleles to their offspring was first described by Gregor Mendel and is one of the "Mendelian rules". Under natural conditions it normally works as described.
Today we know mechanisms with which one can artificially influence the division of the alleles, so that in subsequent generations a desired gene always proves to be dominant and asserts itself. This principle will Gene Drive called and is brought about with the help of the gene scissors CRISPR / Cas. But a lot of research is needed before any practical applications can be considered.
GenChromosomeDNA Allele homozygotheterozygousGene DriveCRISPR / Cas
- What is the national fruit of Japan
- Are TCS deserved leaflets worth rescuing?
- Can an Android developer earn 65 LPA
- Microsoft revises its employees
- Is it your first time in Quora?
- How to pronounce the word euouae
- Hires TCS freshmen through referral of employees
- Can an engineer research and how
- What is Filipino Literature
- Have you visited New Zealand?
- Is Jiffy Lube a rip off
- Lee Kuan Yew feared the rise of China
- How do I learn spoken English 4
- Where is the largest pyramid
- How is the Norwegian in bed
- Do we know what helicopters looked like
- What is picture rail
- How common are rape fantasies in women
- When do people look old?
- What does pa A Ti mean in Romanian slang
- Is inherited wealth bad
- Is the Chinese government more authoritative?
- What are the controversies in the divided economy
- What is the most racist law right now