Is homeopathic medicine reliable
Please only seriously intended letters to this newspaper, also without a picture. We know that there are hardly any topics that reliably trigger so numerous reader reactions as the debate about homeopathy. We also know that more than 70 percent of the population are open to complementary treatments such as homeopathy. And we know what a high reputation the universities in Germany still enjoy despite some scandals.
For these reasons, it doesn't matter if a lecture series called "Homeopathy - from theory to practice" takes place at the Ludwig Maximilians University Hospital in Munich this winter semester. Organized by the Haunersche Children's Hospital, homeopaths are allowed to advertise their treatment method on 15 dates. It is almost exclusively business people who have their own private practice and who not only talk about the homeopathic approach to banal ailments such as colds and otitis media, but also report on homeopathy for prostate cancer or "the accompaniment of cancer patients with Q-potencies". For the first anamnesis, 455 euros can be incurred, as can be seen on the website of one of the speakers.
Scientific seriousness diluted to such an extent that it can no longer be proven
The university is a publicly funded space for open and challenging debates. What the university is not allowed to be is an advertising platform for the providers of a bizarre and lucrative process that has nothing to do with science. By including it in the academic cycle of a lecture series, the university is ennobling a treatment direction that has so far failed to provide any serious proof of benefit, but is protected by politics as a "special treatment direction" for populist reasons.
This is why homeopaths are allowed to treat sick people without having to prove with scientific care that the treatment has a specific effect. It is by no means just a matter of mental disorders, but also of serious ailments such as cancer. At this point at the latest, homeopathy becomes dangerous - because actually helpful procedures are not carried out or are initiated too late.
With laypeople, the impression arises: If it takes place at the university, there must be something to it. Every better adult education center tries to fill its programs with empirically based content. The university failed there. Your scientific seriousness in this matter is so diluted that it can no longer be proven.
- How do I start remote work
- Ireland could produce all of its own food
- Which companies employ entrepreneurs
- The chivalry contradicts equality
- What do snakes eat
- Can I increase my brain ability
- Can you actually read Russian in italics?
- What difficulties sellers usually encounter?
- Is 14 too old to be breastfed
- Why do people think mathematicians are boring
- How easy can life be
- Who was Franz Josef Degenhardt
- Is Anil Kumble underestimated?
- What is your worst sexual harassment experience
- What is the importance of the human relationship
- Concerns Canada's immigration policy to the United States
- What do Western Europeans eat
- How does Priceline 1
- How dangerous is Indianapolis
- How do you do an exit interview
- Why is the US still executing people
- What are some major software bugs ever
- How do you like the future?
- What drives employees to stay with Google