Is the ankle swelling serious
Twist ankle: When the ankle hurts
When jumping approxlanded inappropriately or tripped over something? Wrong Step? It's easy to twist your ankle. But what does that actually mean? And how seriously is the twisting to be taken?
Regardless of whether it's an everyday injury or an injury during sports - it's easy to twist your ankle. But what does that actually mean?
When do we speak of "bent over"?
In most cases, the twisting is a classic sprain. We also know the term “knuckle” for it. And that's because, due to the nature of our feet, we tend to bend inward, which leads to an injury to the ligaments on the outside of the foot - i.e. the outer ankle. One then speaks medically of the so-called supination trauma. The reason for this is that when twisting, the ligaments that hold a multitude of bones in the foot to ensure optimal movement in all directions are overstretched. The ankle is affected by every fourth sports injury.
Ankle twisting harmless or serious consequences?
Whether the twisting turns out to be harmless or whether it has consequences that require treatment depends on what exactly happened when twisting the ankle. When twisting ankle, one differentiates between the following degrees of severity:
- Overstretching - also commonly a sprain
- Torn ligament
- Torn ligament
While the overstretching usually heals quickly on its own, torn ligaments and torn ligaments require medical treatment. If you are not sure how badly your twisted ankle is, you should definitely seek medical advice.
However, below are some clues as to whether your ligaments are just overstretched or whether it could be a tear.
Twisted over - symptoms of overstretching
If the ligaments are only overstretched when twisting, the joint remains stable. Nevertheless, the area usually swells when twisted and the joint hurts. The pain can be very intense even with overstretching. If the problem is a slight twist, these symptoms usually improve after a few days.
Twisted over - symptoms of a torn ligament
If a ligament tears when it is twisted or if it even ruptured, a certain joint instability is usually symptomatic. This means that in addition to the pain and swelling, there is the feeling that you can no longer stand safely on your buckled foot. Walking and standing are restricted. The doctor uses an MRI or ultrasound scan to determine whether the ligament is actually torn.
What to do if you twisted your ankle?
In any case, if your joint is unstable, you should consult a doctor. But even if your pain has not decreased significantly after a few days, it is important to have a doctor checked whether the twisting has not led to a more serious injury. Even with a slight twist, it's important that you give yourself enough time for the injury to heal. Otherwise, even the slight sprain can have far-reaching consequences. This means that you should definitely take care of the injured area and that you should stop exercising or exercising immediately after twisting your ankle so as not to put any further strain on the injured joint.
To cure the ankle as quickly as possible, you should act as an immediate measure according to the PECH model. It says:
- Break - End the activity and protect the injured area
- ice - Cool the affected area
- Compression - Put on an elastic compression bandage
- Elevate - Put your foot up
A detailed description of the PECH rule can be found here.
- Is Mettaton a boy or a girl
- What is it like to live in mainland Japan?
- What's new about Gaya
- Obtain programmer jobs without a degree
- How many people speak the Breton language
- Is Tirana a dangerous city
- How does the human brain recognize beauty
- Can a teacher teach her own child
- Do cooperative business models really work?
- What do you think about relationship goals
- Are public domain libraries really useful?
- What facilities do IB schools offer
- Where can I buy real solid matches
- How to calculate building materials
- Can hire tool pusher engineers in oil rigs
- How do toes taste
- Why do possums run in circles
- What is the tax rate
- Ukraine is a rich country
- What's the best thing about your love
- Why am I nervous about whites
- Bigsop com is a fake company
- How much is too much eye contact
- What transferable skills do you have