Why did the Vikings invade other countries
Viking storm: "The smell of blood and entrails hung in the air"
“That year - 793 - dire omens appeared over Northumbria and terrified the people. They consisted of strong whirlwinds and lightning, and fire-breathing kites could be seen flying through the air. These omens were followed by a great famine and a little later that same year, on June 8th, the raids of the Gentiles of God devastated the church in Lindisfarne through looting and murder. "
This is how the author of the "Anglo-Saxon Chronicle" described the horror that befell his world in 793. Brutal men with horrific weapons raided the famous monastery in the northern Kingdom of England. And it shouldn't stay that way. In the following years Jarrow, Monkwearmouth, Rechru, St. Patrick and St. Columban were hit, soon afterwards it was the turn of the Frankish Empire and a little later Cádiz and Seville were sacked. Finally, in 862, huge Russia submitted to foreign warriors.
Contemporaries initially referred to them according to the element from which they used to appear out of nowhere: sailors or naval warriors. Only over time did the term “Viking” become established, after the Old Norse “víkingr”, which probably describes a pirate or warrior. For more than 250 years, until the conquest of England by William of Normandy in 1066, they were to leave their mark on the history of Europe.
How they did that is what ZDFinfo wants with its six-part documentary series “The Vikings - Facts and Legends
- What Myers Briggs guy is, Barack Obama is
- How did someone secretly destroy your life
- How are the women in Denver
- Is Siddaramaiah good CM
- Most senior programmers are out of date and opinion-forming
- Is Perth better than Sydney
- Do women really prefer Asian men
- How will Generation Z be
- Why did teachers beat students
- Do people confuse Indians with Arabs?
- Why should i visit Aceh
- What do Americans think of French culture?
- What is the scope of the US MBA
- Which business creates wealth the fastest
- Terra Nova is worth seeing
- How can developing countries deal with inflation
- Why do Vietnamese admire Indian culture
- Why is seafood gumbo so good
- Good vegetarian cake is possible
- Who invented cooking
- Why don't people use Facebook anymore
- Hardik Patel is a homosexual
- How can I easily get logistics jobs
- Computer engineering is a good career
- Why are teachers getting younger?
- What is a business start-up
- Can HIV be transmitted through small wounds
- Which words are considered dirty words?
- How are immigrants treated in Germany
- Have you ever been topless in public?
- What is your favorite game for the exclusive PlayStation
- How do I find SAP jobs
- How do Americans perceive British spelling?