What should you never tell management
5 things bosses should never say in a crisis
Knowing what to say in a difficult situation is difficult for everyone. It's especially hard for Executives, as they try to get through uncertain times with a team in tow. Knowing what to do not say however, is just as difficult and perhaps even more important at the moment.
In this article you will get five tipsso that you can communicate better with your team, customers and colleagues in times of crisis. Here are the things that you shouldn't say.
1. "You should have done ..."
To be permanent trust To achieve this, it is important to speak to your team members on a regular basis. After all, you want her to be open to yours Suggested solutions are. The sentence “You should have done ...” sounds like the beginning of a critical lecture. When people feel like they are being judged, they become less open to the rest of the conversation and close themselves off.
Crisis is not the time to point the blame.
Instead, use the phrase "What I can suggest is ...". Thus the Focus of the conversation on thesolution and not shifted to the problem. By saying what can be done, you are helping your employees move forward. This makes them feel valued for what they do Trust in your abilities strengthens.
2. "Calm down."
Sometimes what we say is the opposite of what the listener gets. The phrase "calm down" - even when said with the best of intentions - can only stir your teammates and clients even more. Your audience could do this as a Criticism of their emotional state grasp. This leads to more Conflicts instead of reaching an agreement.
The Coronavirus affects everyone. It already has a lot Fear and insecurity caused. This fear and insecurity also affects people's ability to be present in conversations and to connect with others. As a managing director, a empathic communication stand in the foreground.
EXTRA: SMEs & Corona: 5 experience reports on dealing with the crisis
Press your empathy by making people feel heard. Confirm the experiences of your customers and your team with one of these sentences:
- "I know this is a challenge"
- "I can understand the insecurity you feel"
Show your co-workers that you are theirs Challenges (or triumphs) understand. So they feel cared for and supported. Then they perceive you more positively and a level of trust develops. On the other hand, when your co-workers don't feel heard, they have a hard time conversation to get ahead. They are emotionally less receptive to a solution that comes from you.
Use the words, "I know this is a challenge". It helps your team and clients see you as an ally.
3. "Everything will be fine."
Like the phrase “calm down”, the phrase “everything will be fine” can be one negative effect to have. Despite your good intentions, this phrase can fall on deaf ears. People sometimes use this phrase when they are not sure what else to say.
The statement “everything will be fine” is very vague and vague. You can't explain to your co-workers that everything is in order will be without explaining what exactly will be "okay". This can cause your sincerity is questioned.
EXTRA: This is how you lead in uncertain times
If you want to use the phrase "everything will be fine" anyway, you should tell people details call. They can hold on to them. Introduce your information with the introduction "The good news is ...".
The sentence "The good news is ..." can be heard by your employees and customers right away Relief procure. Build confidence in yourself by:
- Provide specific information
- Giving people the assurance that they will be heard
Book tip: crisis management *
Methods for successful crisis management
Paperback: 62 pages
Released on: April 9, 2019
Price: 9,99 €
Watch it now on Amazon
4. "Don't worry."
There are a number of reasons bosses should avoid the phrase “don't worry”. For one thing, this sentence can dismissive or condescending work - especially if you can't give precise details about why someone is no worries should do. Just because you tell someone, "Don't worry," it doesn't automatically mean they are less concerned.
EXTRA: "Entrepreneurial Resilience": Equipped for the Crisis [Review]
Banish the word “must” from yours vocabulary. People no longer listen when they use the word “must” or others negative words like “no”, “not”, “can't” or “doesn't want to” hear. These words give your co-workers a input negative feeling. It can also cause them to be in panic advised because they are afraid that their needs will not be met.
When your employees hear the phrase "don't worry," they may feel guilty about worry.
Communicating what to do and what not to do advances the situation as the focus is on the solution.
Try to steer the conversation towards what they are talking about Customers and team members should focus instead. Here you can use the phrase "let's focus on xyz".
5. "You will be fine."
“You will be fine” can easily sound insincere.
Try the situation your perspective to convey if you want to reassure your employees and customers. You can yours information convey it like this: "What I really want to tell you is ...".
Even if you don't have all the answers, sharing your knowledge with them can reassure people. The phrase “We do x, y, z to investigate” can also help.
You can current situation do not control completely. But you can control how you communicate and react. Place your Empathy and trust in the foreground.
Stephanie Burns has no position in any of the stocks mentioned. We have translated it for you so that we can exchange ideas with our readers on relevant topics.
* This book tip contains commission links. If you shop through these links, we will receive a small commission. It doesn't change the price for you.
You don't want to miss anything anymore?
- Are unions socialist
- How young is too young to die
- How much are astronauts paid
- Why do narcissists run away?
- How can the Brazilian economy be revived?
- What do Arab men like in women?
- What is credit and debt
- What area do you live in
- Why is Adele more famous than Pavarotti
- Why do celebrities hide their pregnancies
- How much does web scraping cost
- What color do dogs not like
- Why are divorces becoming more common in India?
- Fart girl girl
- What is meant by a voided check?
- Some people are born to die
- How culturally diverse are Palestinians
- Have you ever met a mature teenager
- Why are socially fearful people treated differently?
- Which song motivates you
- Cheats on her with her close friend
- What is Donald Trump's waist size
- What did the Brexiters expect from Brexit?
- Fornication is considered a sin if married
- What are some gift ideas for women
- What martial art did ninja do
- Why is China lowering interest rates
- Is the Western media's view of China unfounded?
- How much does a house cost in Noida
- What is the highest paid computer science job
- What is the best portable bluetooth speaker
- Should a husband give money to his wife
- What kind of young people are you doing
- What is Interstitial Cystitis Symptoms