What do early pitch decks mean
Pitch: what is that?
The term pitch actually comes from the agency or advertising agency industry. Because agencies compete against each other as part of a pitch in front of a potential customer in order to convince the customer and to get orders. This is how the term “pitch” developed in the startup scene. This gives founders the opportunity to present their business ideas to investors in the shortest possible time and to convince them of them.
Pitch: What types of presentations are there?
- Elevator pitch
- Startup pitch
- Speed pitching sessions
What is an elevator pitch?
The elevator pitch is the shortest type of pitch presentation. The aim here is to present a comprehensive and informative overview of your business idea or start-up within a very short time - approx. 30 seconds - in order to convince investors of the idea.
The term elevator pitch comes from the fact that in the past, young entrepreneurs often only had the opportunity to convince successful business people of their ideas in short elevator trips. Even today you usually only have a few seconds to arouse the interest of a potential investor. No additional documents or presentations (keynote, power point, etc.) are used for the elevator pitch. Because in such conditions they would be more of a hindrance than a help.
What is a startup pitch?
With a conventional pitch, which is not as limited in time as the elevator pitch, presentations usually serve as an additional aid. In this way, the business idea and its connections can be better presented. Although there is more time available for the presentation, it still makes sense to keep the pitch short rather than too long. Because many investors hear dozens of presentations a day and have to concentrate on every single pitch. The attention span is usually exhausted after a few minutes.
What are speed pitching sessions?
Often, speed pitching sessions take place as part of events. Start-up teams have the opportunity to convince a potential investor of their startup idea within a short period of time - around three to five minutes. Then you change the conversation partner, the investor, and present your business idea again. This type of pitching is based on the principle of speed dating. For startups, speed pitching sessions have the advantage of being able to present the business idea to several potential investors.
What is a pitch deck?
The presentation slides of a pitch are referred to as the pitch deck. The slides or slides can be created with Keynote, Power Point or Prezi, for example. It is important to pay attention to the content of the slides and their structure. The number of slides presented should be kept low - approx. 10-13 slides - and all important information should be summarized briefly and succinctly on them. It is very important not to load the slides with too much text, otherwise the audience's attention will focus more on the text than on the speaker himself.
Here is an example:
So the basic concept of a pitch is actually not that difficult. You try to convincingly present your business idea in a short time. If you succeed, you have a good chance of gaining new customers, suitable investors or other supporters for the company. That sounds simple at first, but it looks a bit more difficult to implement. Because although there are helpful presentation templates - pitch decks - it is important that you still stand out and that investors and the audience remember your unique pitch.
Pitch: Dos and Don’ts
- Stories and emotions: Everyone loves stories, including investors. So tell a story that fits your business idea.
- Slides - less is often more: Try not to overload your slides with information. The audience should concentrate on the speakers and not be too distracted by the presentation slides.
- First impression: The first impression in a presentation is extremely important. Try to convince yourself in the first two to three minutes and not to bore the audience!
- Team: Show the people behind your idea. Focus on the outstanding and interesting characteristics of the team members. A first-class team is part of a good business idea!
- Remains uniform: Create your presentation slides in the same design. Uses the same colors and fonts.
- Know your metric and numbers: Key figures speak louder than words!
- Keep it short & simple: Average pitch: 38 slides. Average investor attention span: 10 slides. So the calculation is easy!
- Preparation is everything: Be prepared for any questions! At the end of the presentation, investors are happy to follow up to see whether you have really given comprehensive thought to your business idea. Here you should be able to answer questions.
Pitch decks - examples of well-known startups
- How beautiful your life is
- What does Nikah have to fulfill
- How should my LLC be taxed
- How different is Taiwan from China
- Which plants make perfume
- How do you get rid of powdery mildew
- Is it necessary to create generational wealth
- Who is the richest Canadian
- How long does a money order take
- Is open to B Ed eligible for DSC
- Why is the Chinese government so restrictive
- Shall we follow ISKCON?
- Which parameters influence the service life?
- Is it possible to skip school completely?
- What is expatriation
- Can technology make human longevity a reality?
- What is Littlefinger's overall goal
- What are the specialties of a chiropractor
- What are the moral values of philosophy
- Who gets the highest paid salary?
- Has a patient ever swallowed their tooth?
- Is Mumbai a safe city for girls
- Can I carry Rudraksha Mala in my hand?
- What are the less spicy Indian foods