Indians are as smart as the Chinese
Never Mind the Markets -
Changzhi College students during a Chinese history lecture (October 14, 2008). Image: Reuters
China's per capita income is still modest compared to Western countries. But because the population is so large, the election of the new Politburo is more important than the US elections. Obama and Romney may have very different ideas about economic policy, but the question of how the new leadership in Beijing wants to achieve growth and stability in the future dominates everything that is happening in the West.
Anyone interested in China can therefore not avoid looking at the country's demographics. One wonders again and again how it is possible that so many people can live in such a small space. How could it possibly come this far?
On the one hand, the above-average population growth has to do with the natural endowment of the country. Areas that cultivated rice for centuries achieved higher agricultural productivity than wheat areas. The yield per hectare in China in the 17th and 18th centuries was significantly higher than in Europe, as new research shows (e.g. here).
But just as important was something completely different that at first glance has nothing to do with China: the conquest of America by the Spaniards. In the 16th century, the Spaniards discovered a very nutritious crop in Central America and spread it across Asia via the Philippines: the sweet potato. It allowed Chinese agriculture to develop areas that were previously too inhospitable, whereupon the population literally exploded in the 18th century.
As the following graph shows, the population of China increased from 138 to 381 million people between 1700 and 1800. That is an absolute record for the pre-industrial era.
Because of this extraordinary growth, China's share of the world population reached the high level of 37 percent in 1800. Since then, it has fallen again, as the following graphic shows.
So the question why there are so many Chinese has an extremely simple and short answer: Columbus.
- Where do i get an electrician in australia from
- What is company sales data
- Do you like people who smell like musk?
- What is the role of money 1
- Can a person take piano lessons online
- How much do Microsoft employees earn
- How to say do in Vietnamese
- What professionals use chronograph watches
- Is Paul McCartney gay?
- Is El Salvador still a dangerous place?
- Why do narcissists run away?
- Why are Slavic women so pretty
- All old people wear diapers
- What is a company
- Could Brexit cause hyperinflation?
- Would you like to be an administrative assistant?
- Is your life a tragedy
- How is life with HIM Pusa
- What can I expect as submissive
- Accept compliments
- Why do I like to sleep naked?
- How do normal people date
- What is the correct pronunciation for Rocawear
- What is the maximum depth of the plate
- How do toes taste
- Why do so many Hungarians speak German?
- Do Guangxi and Guangdong still speak Cantonese
- What are soft skills in the workplace
- How do I get into creative advertising
- What makes a dentist a great dentist
- Lazy is good for the universe
- Which is the best speaker among 3000
- What do Americans do better than Canadians?