Are Slavic people Turkish or Mongolian?
From Mecklenburg to Wendland and Holstein: Slavs once lived in many places in northern Germany. Museums with the typical ring walls are a reminder of this. The term Slavs stands for a group of tribes and peoples from Eastern Europe. What they had in common was a common language family that set them apart from the other two major language groups in Europe: Germanic and Romance. The origin of the Slavs may have been in what is now Ukraine. From there, Slavic tribes migrated westwards from the 6th century - initially to the Balkans. In the 7th century they reached areas of Germanic tribes and reached the Elbe.
Over the Wendland to the coast
Around a hundred years later there were settlements of Slavic tribes in Wendland and on the Bay of Kiel. The Rundling villages in Wendland can be traced back to these population groups. The tribes of the Abodrites settled in Mecklenburg and are considered by many to be the origin of the Mecklenburg royal houses. While the Slavic settlements initially lived from agriculture and cattle breeding, their inhabitants also developed craft techniques and traded in the 8th and 9th centuries. To defend their communities against external enemies, the Slavs built ring walls, which were later partly destroyed and partly used as a starting point for larger villages and towns. A further common cultural development of the Slavs apparently stood in the way of the great spatial expansion. Rather, regional influences shaped the lives of the immigrants.
The Sorbs - a national minority
The most famous Slavic people in Germany today, who still cultivate their culture, are the Sorbs. They live in Lausitz in eastern Brandenburg and southern Saxony. In Germany, the Sorbs - like the Danish minority - are recognized as a national minority with around 60,000 people.
Groß Raden: sanctuary of the Slavs
1,000 years ago Groß Raden in Mecklenburg was a temple of the Slavs. Today visitors can relive the everyday life of a settlement from the early Middle Ages. more
This topic in the program:
North Tour | 05/27/2017 | 6:00 p.m.
- When did curry production begin?
- Unsharpened swords can cut you
- Kaengurus are aggressive
- How many foreigners currently live in India
- Why does my sweat smell like Tylenol?
- Is the smoke from steaming harmful?
- Nurses go to the UK
- Why do Indonesian Arabs eat so much
- Why do narcissists hate music
- What is it like to work in Tokyo?
- What is an acceptable professional gift label
- Exports increase or decrease during inflation
- Are wigs hot and uncomfortable or not
- What are some tips for secondary school
- Which factors shape our values and beliefs?
- Which country is friendly
- Do you drink your morning breakfast
- Are you an ISFP
- Why is my boyfriend hiding our relationship
- How important is Gimli to the community
- Do your children go to day care centers
- Which plants harm other plants
- What makes expats respected in China
- Has Elon Musk ever visited South Africa