The BTS Universe or Bangtan Universe, short for BU, was originally known as "The Most Beautiful Moment in Life series", "Hwa Yang Yeon Hwa series" or "HYYH series" until the official name and logo were determined in 2017. The BTS Universe is a South Korean media franchise produced by Big Hit Music and HYBE in collaboration with BTS. Big Hit Music and HYBE also call the universe IP storytelling. The BTS Universe is a fictional universe that tells a story about seven friends and is based on the seven members of BTS. This means that the seven fictional characters from the BU were inspired by the band members of the Bangtan Boys. Therefore the characters from the BTS Universe have the birth names of the BTS members and the order of the age is the same as within the band. The BU story deals with topics such as accidents, loss, death, suicide, abuse, separation, secrets, lies, nightmares, violence, poverty, the search for yourself, illnesses or mental illnesses. Friendship, love and the search for the Map of the Soul are other things that are an issue in the BTS Universe. But the possibility to travel back in time also plays a role in order to change bad things / mistakes that have happened in this way. This is why the butterfly effect occurs in the BTS Universe, which is why you see a butterfly in the BU over and over again. But white lilies / white calla lilies also appear again and again in the BTS Universe, especially in connection with Seokjin.
Big Hit Music and HYBE began to tell the story not only in the music videos with the band, but also in diary entries or short stories (The Notes) that were added to the albums or books or webtoons or short films or in a visual novel (game) . So Big Hit allied K-Pop with various media and thus created a media franchise.
Big Hit Music and HYBE and BTS started the Bangtan Universe with the music video "I Need U", which was released in April 2015 and belongs to the BTS era "The Most Beautiful Moment In Life".
Not all things from BTS belong to the universe, so Big Hit marks the things that belong to the BU.
The labeling of Big Hit Music and HYBE about things that belong to the BU looks like this on YouTube:
The BU logo is printed on, for example, the book The Most Beautiful Moment In Life: The Notes 1.
Story of the BU:
Seven guys. Best friends. Your fates are intertwined through the good times you had together, but also through the hard times. Since they went their separate ways, you suffered greatly as a result. When everything seems to be lost for the boys, you sometimes get a special chance. Because Seokjin can now go back in time to help his friends correct the mistakes that led them on this path. Seokjin always travels back on April 11th in the year 22nd. He will do anything to save her, but can he do it? Or is it too late?
Description from the BTS Webtoon "The Most Beautiful Moment in Life Pt.0: Save Me".
List of things from the BTS Universe featured by Big Hit Music and HYBE:
The Most Beautiful Moment in Life (HYYH):
- 'I NEED U' Official MV (music video) was released on April 29, 2015
- 'I NEED U' Official MV (Original ver.) (Music video) was released on May 10, 2015
- 화양연화 on stage: prologue (short film) released on October 1st, 2015
- 'RUN' Official MV (music video) was released on November 29, 2015
- 'I NEED U (Japanese Ver.)' Official MV (music video) was released on December 1st, 2015
- 'RUN-Japanese Ver.-' Official MV (music video) was released on March 11, 2016
- ‘EPILOGUE: Young Forever’ MV (music video) released on April 19, 2016
- WINGS Short Film # 1 BEGIN (short film) was released on September 4th, 2016
- WINGS Short Film # 2 LIE (short film) was released on September 5th, 2016
- WINGS Short Film # 3 STIGMA (short film) was released on September 7, 2016
- WINGS Short Film # 4 FIRST LOVE (short film) was released on September 8, 2016
- WINGS Short Film # 5 REFLECTION (short film) was released on September 9, 2016
- WINGS Short Film # 6 MAMA (short film) was released on September 10, 2016
- WINGS Short Film # 7 AWAKE (short film) was released on September 13, 2016
- '피 땀 눈물 (Blood Sweat & Tears)' Official MV (music video) was released on October 9, 2016
- '血 、 汗 、 涙 - (Blood Sweat & Tears)' Japanese Ver.- 'Official MV (music video) was released on May 9, 2017
- BTS WINGS CONCEPT BOOK (book) was published on June 29, 2017
- LOVE_YOURSELF poster (here an English translation of the poster) was published on August 11th - 13th, 2017
- THE NOTES: SEOKJIN appeared on Twitter on August 13, 2017 (short stories) (Info: English fan translation is below in the responses on Twitter.)
- LOVE YOURSELF Highlight Reel '起' (short film) was released on August 15, 2017
- LOVE YOURSELF Highlight Reel '承' (short film) was released on August 16, 2017
- LOVE YOURSELF Highlight Reel '轉' (short film) was released on August 17, 2017
- LOVE YOURSELF Highlight Reel '起 承 轉 結' (short film) was released on August 18, 2017
- 花樣 年華 The Notes Her included in the album LOVE YOURSELF 承 'Her' (short stories), released on September 18, 2017
- 'Euphoria: Theme of LOVE YOURSELF 起 Wonder' (short film) was released on April 5, 2018
- THE NOTES: JUNGKOOK appeared on Twitter on May 3rd, 2018 (short stories) (Info: English fan translation is below in the responses on Twitter.)
- 'FAKE LOVE' Official Teaser 1 (Teaser) was released on May 14, 2018
- 'FAKE LOVE' Official MV (music video) was released on May 18, 2018
- 花樣 年華 The Notes Tear included in the album LOVE YOURSELF 轉 'Tear' (short stories) was released on May 18, 2018
- 'FAKE LOVE' Official MV (Extended ver.) (Music video) was released on June 1st, 2018
- THE NOTES: SEOKJIN was published on August 6, 2018 on Twitter (short stories) (Info: English fan translation is below in the answers on Twitter.)
- LOVE YOURSELF 結 Answer 'Epiphany' (Comeback Trailer) was released on August 9th, 2018
- 花樣 年華 The Notes Answer included in the album LOVE YOURSELF 結 'Answer' (short stories) released on August 24, 2018
Map of the Soul:
- 花樣 年華 The Notes Persona included in the album Map of the Soul: Persona (short stories) was released on April 12, 2019
- 花樣 年華 The Notes 7 included in the album Map of the Soul: 7 (short stories) was released on February 21, 2020
- SAVE ME (Webtoon) was released on January 17th - April 11th, 2019
- 花樣 年華 THE NOTES 1 (book) published on March 5th, 2019
- 花樣 年華 Art toy(Characters from the LOVE YOURSELF Highlight Reel short films and the 'FAKE LOVE' Official Teaser 1) published on September 16, 2019
- We Can Laugh When We're Together (Graphic Lyrics Book) was released on June 24, 2020
- 花樣 年華 THE NOTES 2 (book) was released on August 25, 2020
- BTS Universe Story 花樣 年華 'MAP OF THE SOUL' (short film) was released on September 16, 2020
- 花樣 年華 in BTS Universe Story (visual novel in the game BTS Universe Story) was released on September 24th
- Youth (K-Drama) will be released in 2021
Relation to BU:
The following things also play a role in the BTS Universe:
The Twitter accounts and the Naver blog and the Instagram account via Smeraldo.
The BTS song "The Truth Untold", from their album Love Yourself: Tear, released in 2018, tells the story of the Smeraldo flower. The meaning of the Smeraldo flower is that you cannot tell the truth.
Info: Smeraldo is not a real flower. But the flower has a story and you can find it on the Naver Blog. Seokjin orders the Smeraldo flowers in the LOVE YOURSELF Highlight Reel short films and in the 花樣 年華 The Notes for the girl, since Seokjin travels back in time, he will never pre-order the flowers for the girl, so the accident won't happen to her.
On the Smeraldo Books Twitter account, posts were made about the publication of the books belonging to the BU, such as: The book The Most Beautiful Moment in Life: The Notes 1 and the Webtoon The Most Beautiful Moment in Life Pt.0
The FAKE LOVE 'Official Teaser 1 begins with the following sentence: "Magic Shop" is a psychodramatic technique that exchanges fear for a positive attitude. (Magic Shop exists in the imagination and is a mental rehabilitation; BTS have a song called "Magic Shop", it appeared on the Love Yourself: Tear album in 2018.) And in the FAKE LOVE 'Official Teaser 1 video, the boys exchange items around. But not all objects can be recognized.
Items from the teaser:
Seokjin: Earphones -?
Yoongi:? - yellow lollipop
Hoseok: Snickers - birthday cake
Namjoon: Shard of a mirror that reads: "I must survive." - Hair tie
Jimin: Image of a forest (Flower Arboretum) - umbrella
Taehyung:? - black backpack
Jungkook:? - key
RM via the BU:
BU videos from fans on YouTube
You can find more videos about the BTS Universe here.
Pictures from the BU
More pictures of the BU or from the BU can be found here.
BU timeline links
On these English-language pages you can find more information about the BU and the chronological timeline of the BU.
The timeline of the BTS Fandom Wiki continues here.
BU short character information:
The seven friends in the fictional BU story have had many happy moments together when they could smile and have therefore become friends. But their lives are not the easiest. The boys went to the same school for a while and became friends when they were all late for school. The friends have special places for themselves, for example: a secret hiding place at school, NamJoon's container and the beach.
- SeokJin is 22 years old on April 11th in the year 22.
- Since meeting a white cat, one blue and one green eye, he has been traveling back in time. Seokjin wants to help and save his friends on this path by changing bad things. So that they can all be as happy again as they were before. Whenever Seokjin travels back in time, he hears a mirror shattering.
- He's looking for the Map of the Soul.
- Since SeokJin is constantly traveling through time, he loses his memories.
- His mother died before he was a teenager.
- Seokjin's father Kim Chang-joon sent him to the United States. There he lived with his grandmother (on his mother's side) for a while.
- His father was always strict and cold towards him. Seokjin was always told what to do by his father and the headmaster of the school.
- Seok-jin is under great pressure from his father's high expectations.
- Seokjin feels guilty for betraying her secret hiding place at school to a teacher.
- Seokjin always wanted to make his family proud.
- His family is rich.
- Seokjin's father also seems to have traveled back in time. He learns this from his father's notebook.
- He's usually nice, but the stress of saving his friends makes him anxious and worried about them.
- Seokjin likes to take photos.
- If I could turn back time, I want to be the best man in the world. Seokjin has a desire to become a good person.
- He wants to give flowers to a girl Smeraldo. To make her happy, Seokjin wants to fulfill the girl's wishes from her diary. A wish from her diary are the Smeraldo flowers. But when he tries to give her the flowers, an accident happens.
- Symbols: earphones, camera, red diary, a shattering mirror or glass, window, butterfly, black hole, flowers: smeraldo flowers, white lilies, purple celosia flamingo, calla
- YoonGi is 21 years old on April 11th in the year 22.
- His mother died in the fire at his home (suicide) when he was a young teenager.
- Yoongi loves music, but has had a difficult relationship with her since her mother's death. Like his mother, he plays the piano. As a child he played the piano with his mother.
- The relationship with his father is not very good and it seems that his father doesn't want Yoongi to make music.
- Yoongi has a music study in an abandoned building in the middle of a redevelopment area.
- When Yoongi ate with his father, it was forbidden to speak during the meal and it usually had to be quiet because of his father's home. The silence between him and his father makes him long to leave.
- Yoongi does not want to hurt anyone or be hurt.
- He's afraid of getting close to people due to his mother's suicide and his own self-destructive tendencies, so he prefers to keep them away.
- He often plays with a lighter.
- Yoongi was expelled from school after protecting Jungkook from a teacher who tried to beat Jungkook.
- He is very close to Jungkook.
- Symbols: piano, yellow lollipop, lighter
- HoSeok is 20 years old on April 11th in the year 22.
- Hoseok's mother left him in an amusement park in front of a merry-go-round when he was elementary school age. She only left a candy bar with him. At that time Hoseok was supposed to close his eyes and count to 10, when he opened his eyes again his mother was gone. Since then he has had difficulty counting to 10.
- Nothing is known about his father.
- He hopes to see his mother again.
- Hoseok lived after his mother left him in an orphanage.
- His long-time good friend from the orphanage went abroad to dance. So he was left by her too. His good friend reminded him of his mother for a while.
- Hoseok works in a fast food restaurant (Two Star Burger).
- He suffers from narcolepsy and / or Munchausen syndrome. That's why he was already in the hospital. Because Hoseok occasionally upset because of the disease narcolepsy. Only in his apartment has he never passed out.
- Hoseok takes pills that he actually doesn't need.
- Hoseok shows others only his bright and happy.
- He loves to dance. Hoseok dances in a dance studio (dance group: Just Dance). Later he also dances there with Jimin.
- Hoseok took Jimin with him after he ran away from the hospital. Jimin lived there for a while. He always takes care of Jimin.
- He is very close to Jimin.
- Symbols: candy bar (Snickers), birthday cake, tablets, carousel, plane
- Namjoon is 20 years old on April 11th in the year 22.
- He has a younger brother, Kim Nam-hyun.
- Namjoon moved to the country for a while with his family (mother, father and younger brother). Since his family is very poor, he works a lot in part-time jobs, even during his school days. Since moving back to town, Namjoon has been working part-time at a gas station.
- He helped his family to pay the medical bills for his sick father and to pay bills in general.
- Before Namjoon moved to the country, he wrote the words "I must survive" and "See you again" in their secret hiding place. But he never really said goodbye to his friends.
- He always observes others from a distance and is afraid of getting caught up in something.
- Namjoon regularly visits a library. He takes the bus to this library.
- Namjoon feels like he's busy enough taking care of himself.
- The boys always looked up at Namjoon.
- After returning from the country, Namjoon lives in a container in the city.
- After the seven boys hadn't really seen each other for a while after their meeting on the beach, Namjoon always left the light on in his container as a sign for his friends.
- Namjoon likes to read books.
- He is very close to Taehyung.
- Symbols: mirror - And the phrase: I must survive, phone booth, hair tie, book
- JiMin is 19 years old on April 11th in the year 22.
- Father: Park Jin-wook - Mother: Sim Seon-mi
- When Jimin was in elementary school, he saw a bad thing in a flower arboretum. This happened during a school trip when it was raining. This observation marked him for life. Certain things like blood seem to remind him, because he panicked and washed away the blood after a dance injury.
- Jimin lived in the hospital for several years after having a fit at a bus stop where he was with Hoseok. It seems like his parents weren't very interested in Jimin coming home.
- After Jimin ran away from the hospital, he stayed with Hoseok for a while.
- Jimin changed schools often. Because he always lived in a hospital for a while. The last time he lived there for several years.
- Jimin lies to the doctors at the hospital after a certain amount of time.
- Because of his illness he has no friends apart from the boys.
- The reasons for his stays in the hospital were more emotional than physical.
- When Jimin goes to school with the others, he wonders when that time will be over and when he'll have to go back to a hospital. He wonders that, for example, when Hoseok brings Jimin home after school, even though that is a detour for Hoseok.
- Jimin believes there is no need to love someone like him.
- He loves dancing and later dances in a dance studio (dance group: Just Dance), where Hoseok also dances.
- Jimin accidentally injured Hoseok's long-time friend during dance training. Jimin injured himself here too.
- He is very close to Hoseok.
- Symbols: Flower Arboretum (forest), umbrella, apple, bathtub
- TaeHung was 19 years old on April 11th in the year 22nd.
- Prophetic Dreams: Often times he has dreams or nightmares depicting past or future events of various loops in relation to him and his friends.
- Taehyung has an older sister, Kim Eun-hye.
- His mother left the family when he was a child.
- His father, Kim Sung-hoon, is an alcoholic and he beats his children.
- He does graffiti. That's why he was in trouble with the police.
- He doesn't want to be like his father, Taehyung wants to protect his family.
- Taehyung thinks that in the end everyone is alone.
- Over time, he owned a white dog named Dubu.
- Taehyung has a job in a supermarket.
- Taehyung looks up to Namjoon very much. When he needs help, he calls Namjoon.
- Taehyung is very close to Namjoon.
- Symbols: black backpack, mobile phone, graffiti spray can
- Jungkook is 17 on April 11th in the year 22.
- Jungkook's father left the family when he was elementary school.
- He lives with his mother and her new boyfriend (his stepfather) and his stepbrother.
- There is a lot going on in the stepfamily, e.g. that his Steffamily also likes to behave as if he were not there. As a result, he struggles with self harm, depression, and thoughts of suicide.
- Jungkook can draw. For example, he draws the car accident in which he was seriously injured.
- Jungkook plays video games. The white cat with one blue and one green eye was with Jungkook after the car accident.
- He visited her secret hiding place at school every day, even if all seven weren't always there. Through her he feels that he has found a real family, real brothers. He's fun and happy with the other guys, but he's always afraid that the days he spends with them will come to an end.
- He often feels lonely.
- Jungkook is a shy and reserved boy.
- Jungkook would like to be like Namjoon when he grows up.
- Jungkook liked to lie on school desks pushed together while listening to Yoongi play the piano. Sometimes Jungkook played the piano with Yoongi. He also tried to play a melody from Yoongi on the piano.
- He is very close to Yoongi.
- Symbols: drawing pad, key
In March 2019, Big Hit Music founded the five-piece K-Pop boy band TXT (Tomorrow X Together). Also in collaboration with TXT, Big Hit Music and HYBE are launching a TXT Universe (TU), now also known as THE STAR SEEKERS. The TU is also based on the members of the band and tells a fictional story. In the TU, too, the characters were inspired by the members of the band. Therefore the characters in the TU have the maiden names of the band members. For example, the story of the TXT Universe is told in some of the band's music videos. Here, for example, the members appear with different fantasy traits: Choi Yeon Jun - with horns, Choi Soo Bin - with pointed ears, Choi Beom Gyu - with different sized tips on the shoulder, Kang Tae Hyun - with a black eye in that there is a white star and Kai Kamal Huening - with white mechanical wings. Among other things, the TU is about a promise and a star.
The BTS Universe and the TXT Universe are interrelated. But they have different concepts and stories. So far, only one white cat with one blue and one green eye can be seen in both universes. In the BU, the white cat meets Seokjin on the beach (Webtoon Save me) and in the TU, the white cat meets Yeonjun in the forest (music video Nap of a Star).
There is also a little boy named Choi in the BU in The Notes (diary entries) and three band members from TXT are named Choi with the surname.