What makes someone an intellectual
Lexicon: intellectual / intellectuality
by Britta Pawlak
You have probably already heard that people speak of the "intellectuals" - but what does that actually mean? The term comes from the Latin verb "intellegere", which means "to understand". The term "intellect" means "perception" and "knowledge" and refers to the human mind and reason. With an "intellectual" one usually means a person who is well educated, has read many books and knows a lot - this can be a scientist, artist, philosopher and thinker or writer, for example.
Usually such a person has their own position in many areas of life and takes a critical stance on political, cultural and social issues. Because one expects from an intellectual that he does not make hasty judgments and not simply adopt opinions without question, but think a lot and come to his own conclusions. For example, the French thinker and author Albert Camus says: "An intellectual is a person whose mind watches itself."
Note on copyright: The private use of our website and texts is free of charge. Schools and teachers need a license. You can find more information about the SCHOOL LICENSE here.
If you notice a mistake in the article, write us an email to [email protected] Did you like the article? You can leave a review below.
25 ratings for this article
Here you can submit your personal rating for the article. Choose between one star (bad) and five stars (great). You can also leave a comment. The fields marked with a * must be filled out.
Your rating has arrived and is now being checked.×
|Name and age||Stars||comment|
The article is being printed ...
Do you want to recommend the article to a friend? Then just fill out the form below.
The fields marked with a * must be filled out.
What car do Harry and Ron use to fly to Hogwarts after they miss the train?
What is Mr. Nilsson, Pippi Longstocking's house monkey?
What is the name of the bird with the largest wingspan?
- Why can't I access Netflix in Indonesia?
- What counts as taxable income
- How is summer in Faisalabad, Pakistan
- Destroyed Microsoft Nokia
- Should I identify as bisexual?
- Henry VIII was the strongest Tudor monarch
- What are the causes of hyperinflation
- What are the main weaknesses of women
- Where is the Ahobilam temple
- Why is potty training important
- Married Mary Queen of Scots
- What are buried weather reports
- What inhibits gluten formation in bread
- What do you say to a fraudster
- How do other countries see Nigeria
- There won't be a Poco F2
- How do I translate into English
- What is a navigation tower
- Do child actors have tantrums on the set
- What is a vashikaran specialist
- Which countries have the same culture
- Cops are usually narcissists
- Believe Elon Musk in God
- Walking can lead to labor after 37 weeks
- How boring is your day
- How is the job market in Canada
- What are Instagram filters in real life
- Where does the term patsy come from?
- How much do app developers charge
- Will Smith is a mixed race
- In which countries does Go Jek operate
- Why are female players disliked
- What do the Iranians think of Chechens?
- What is a global teacher