What are your personal five favorite dishes
Recipes for the holiday home | Our personal TOP 5
When Mr Wallygusto and I go on vacation, we usually stay in a holiday apartment or on a campsite. If you choose the latter, your holiday will be more Spartan and there will often be pasta with ready-made pesto, baked beans and vegetarian canned ravioli. The preparation is then done with the help of a small gas cooker, because campfire romance only exists in the USA and Canada: I can still remember very well that we always took a big pack of firewood for a walk in the trunk there. In the UK, Norway and Sweden, open fires are often not allowed on campsites. If you have a roof over your head including a kitchen, things look quite different from a culinary point of view. Inspired by our last vacation, we have tips for the basic equipment of a “vacation rental box” as well as ours 5 best recipes for the holiday home compiled. Of course, all recipes are vegetarian!
Basic equipment of our cooking box
After all, we can't rely on finding everything in the apartment's kitchen to let off steam at the stove. We are also often only traveling with our tents, so we only have a tiny camping stove and 2 pots for cooking.
For our first vacation, we packed our cooking utensils anew every time. There is now a “cooking box” with basic equipment that we can bring from the cellar almost completely packed when needed. Depending on whether we have a kitchen or just a gas cooker, this equipment can be expanded as required. Of course, it makes a difference whether we are traveling with a tent or an apartment with a kitchen is waiting for us.
Basically, we always have the following kitchen equipment in our luggage:
- Camping cooking set
- Can opener (without it you can look really stupid)
- Cutting board
- sharp, large knife (the knives in many holiday apartments are a complete disaster)
- Coffee filter and filter bags (we didn't have it with us last time, it was a bad mistake!)
- Sponge, washing-up liquid, tea towel
- Kitchen roll
In addition, the following condiments come in our cooking box:
- Spices (salt, pepper, sweet paprika powder, ground cumin and coriander, chili powder, turmeric ...)
- dried herbs (marjoram, oregano, herb mixture ...)
- grained vegetable broth
- Tomato paste
Our 5 best recipes for the holiday home
Of course, we don't always cook the recipes 1: 1, because we don't have every ingredient with us in the holiday apartment or on the campsite. Sometimes a talent for improvisation is therefore required. On the whole, however, these recipes have proven themselves over the last few years:
1. Penne all’arrabbiata
Penne all’arrabbiata are one of the classics of Italian cuisine. The “noodles of an angry kind” owe their name to the fiery heat. Since the traditional pasta dish is otherwise rather relaxed, it can be easily prepared on the gas stove. Apart from chili peppers, you only need tomatoes, garlic cloves and possibly some parsley. All ingredients that you can easily get on the go in every supermarket.
2. Creamy lentil sugo
There are pasta sauces that you can't eat enough of them! Creamy lentil sugo is so delicious that we have it on the table at least once a month. So it's no wonder that we don't want to do without it even on vacation!
3. Chili sin carne
If you already have an open pack of lentils lying around in the apartment, you can treat yourself to a portion of chili sin carne the next day! You are independent here when it comes to choosing the type of lens. Only red lentils do not fit in a chili sin carne in my opinion. Since the small legumes take a long time to cook, both dishes are unfortunately not suitable for a small gas cooker.
Risotto is the perfect dish for the holiday apartment, because you (almost) always only need a large pot for it. The easiest are variants with mushrooms or zucchini. But the spring risotto with green asparagus has also proven itself - peas and ginger are not absolutely necessary to cook a simple, tasty dinner.
5. Chickpea curry
When we go on vacation in the apartment, we like to have a few more spices with us. Quickly bought a can of chickpeas, garlic and onions - and nothing stands in the way of preparing an Indian chickpea curry. Chickpeas provide plenty of vegetable protein and contain an abundance of complex carbohydrates. They are therefore ideally suited to replenish the body's energy stores after a long day of hiking.
You can find more vegetarian and vegan recipe ideas for the holiday apartment and the campsite here:
Cooking in the Campervan: 8 Easy Veggie Recipes
Cooking in the motorhome - vegetarian recipes
The marshmallow was roasted on Unsplash by Jessica Ruscello.
- Why do narcissists hate music
- How do the Chinese media report on Trump
- What do people in rural England eat?
- What is OTA
- Why is Christopher Columbus important to the story
- How do online scammers make money
- How do you feel after becoming successful
- Can our body size decrease
- What is the significance of the study of forestry
- What annoys you
- What kind of jobs do billionaires have
- How popular is anal sex in India
- Why does Pakistan fear modes
- Removal of wisdom teeth can lead to bone loss
- How much does the average accountant earn
- Will we ever get a British Quora?
- Which books will you read in 2019
- Donald Trump suffers from depression
- How would you describe your local cuisine
- What was Roman banking like?
- What is ethnic diversity according to experts
- Which country has the most efficient government?
- When does a religion become mythology?
- How do I experience London