Should Amazon workers still organize themselves in unions?
Formation of a union: US President Biden stands behind Amazon workers
US President Joe Biden has stood behind workers at the online retail giant Amazon who want to organize in the US for the first time. "Workers in Alabama and across America are voting to form a union in their workplace," Biden said on a Twitter video on Sunday. That is of "great importance". Workers should not be intimidated, threatened or influenced with "propaganda" against unions.
"Every worker should have a free and fair choice to join a union," added Biden. The US President made it clear that Amazon employees in the US have the right to band together and fight for better working conditions. However, he did not specifically ask them to organize themselves in a union.
Vote by the end of March
In an Amazon logistics center in Bessemer, Alabama, a vote on unionization began in February and is expected to last until the end of March. The vote goes back to an initiative of the retail trade union RWDSU, they would then represent the employees on site. If the vote is positive, it would be the first Amazon site ever to be represented by a union.
Amazon itself took decisive action against the plans. In the logistics center in Bessemer, the management spoke out against unions at conferences and on flyers in the toilets. She even set up a website where she argues why a union is unnecessary.
Hundreds of thousands of employees
Amazon is the second largest employer in the United States, employing over 800,000 people there. However, the company is repeatedly criticized for its working conditions. In Germany, too, there are repeated strikes and demands for a collective agreement. (APA, AFP, 1.3.2021)
- Is drinking tap water risky
- Pakistan is a colony of China
- Why is the Black Sea anoxic
- Is Africa's demographic growth sustainable?
- Is it healthy for people to drink milk 1
- Can essential oils relieve back pain
- Why can't vets work on humans?
- High school education in the US is free
- What are the most important jobs
- Can luxury cars attract the wrong attention
- Why is this generation studying with music?
- What's the deal with Generation Z.
- What is in the Koran about Islam
- Are Greeks and Italians similar
- Where will the AI take people
- What sucks about being honest
- Like Japanese Chinese
- Why does my friend scare me
- What is the future of psychology
- Is it dangerous to be a psychologist?
- Do you look younger for your age?
- Quechua Aymara and Guarani are understandable for both sides
- Has China concentration camps for Uyghurs
- Let's really strive for equality